Snap Cover or Semi Custom

ncs2929

Cadet
I am going to replace my boat cover this year. 1983 Stingray 195 SVC I/O.
I have read the good, bad and ugly about the semi covers. They do list my year of boat, this will be for cover and trailer travel. I am also thinking about a custom snap on at the bottom of windshield to stern of boat. Thing is those type of covers seem to lose snaps or rust and require constant care. Have they made improvements in the snap system or are they still a struggle?
Thanks,
Nels

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Snap Cover or Semi Custom

i have to take the one off my Chris Craft when towing, or the wind will get under the snaps, and you have a blue flag flying behind the boat.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Properly designed snap on covers don't need to be removed and in fact can work better than a semi custom. How well it works however depends on two factors. 1) If the boat design is such that the shop making the cover cannot prevent wind from getting under the cover then it won't work well. 2) Covers need to be designed so the leading edge (the forward or bow end that is going through the wind) needs to be folded downward OR a separate nose bra can be fashioned to serve as a stone deflector and a wind deflector. Here is an example of a snap cover that uses no straps. Two straps are used for the nose bra. The separate nose bra allows me to cover the boat at the dock without the need to remove the trolling motor. I made this cover and several others for boats that I no longer own. Those covers are still in use today.

405a0aab.jpg

s2gots

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have a snap on cover and not once has it ever unsnapped on the freeway...upto 70 mph bursts and holds tight...I think it all depends on how its manufactured, and how tight the tollerences are...If a cover is loosely made and flaps in the wind, im sure itll come undun, but if its quality made, tight like the one that came with my boat when I bought it, its not going anywhere...