Steering Cable Fix

Willyclay

Captain
I stumbled across a product in the iboats.com online Marine Store that looks like it will be a great help towards preventing steering cable seizure/corrosion. It is a Steering Cable Boot, product number 521700, that looks like a rubber sleeve from my old Ford's rack&pinion steering. Here's the details on it:

http://www.iboats.com/Steering_Cabl...16092916--**********.527721149--view_id.39716

Anybody have any experience with this item or something similar? Only $6.13 plus shipping. Bought two, one for me and one for my neighbor. Shipment arrived two days earlier than iboats promised. Great service!

Last edited:

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Steering Cable Fix

that's, looks like it is worth a try. with that the zerk fitting you put on the cable should eliminate at lot of problems. my sportcraft will get one, asap. as the motor is on a jackplate, the the link is really exposed to weather. just ordered 3.

some guy on ebay has the for $14.95.

Willyclay

Captain

Thanks, TD. Am glad to know that I was not the last guy on the planet to discover these! I like simple solutions to problems and this seems like it fits the bill. Will post an opinion on the product although it may be next spring before we have any basis for comparison. Anybody else BTDT?

BigNiner19

Petty Officer 1st Class

Post a picture of yours installed. It would be nice to have a view of what this thing would look like installed? I may be buying two if I like the way it looks. If you have a spare minute, just toss up a pic or two....thanks

Cory

erlindbl

Seaman

It can't hurt. A frozen steering cable was the final straw on my 84 OMC. The thing finally corroded to the point it froze completley and would not move.

The good news is I got a new boat out of it.....

Willyclay

Captain

Say ER, do you mind telling me how that "got a new boat" thing works?

BillP

Captain

Hey, the zerk deals work great. Sometimes, actually quite often, stuck steering cables can be loosened up by heating at the motor end. That's where they usually seize and heat can break them loose. Try it before trashing stuck cables. If you don't have a real heat gun use a hair dryer.

tashasdaddy

mine will be here tomorrow afternoon. will post pics Tuesday.

tashasdaddy

here is mine installed. this ones on a project boat.

Attachments

• steering protector 001.JPG
    steering protector 001.JPG
    76.6 KB · Views: 0

Willyclay

Captain

TD, any issues on the tilt tube end? Still don't have mine installed yet. Been distracted by the infamous "honey-do list"!

tashasdaddy

easy as pie. spray a little wd 40 on the rod and it slipped right on.

Willyclay

Captain

Update - Installed this sleeve on my neighbor's boat today. The motor is a 2004 Mercury 60HP two-stroke. Had a bit of a problem getting it on the tilt tube nut. Required one removal to trim burrs off the plastic tilt tube nut. After that, it slipped right into place. Hoping it will prevent corrosion. Noticed that iboats online store is OOS on this item. Any other reports?

tashasdaddy

i recommended them they must have went fast.