• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • ALL iboats Forum Members and Guests:
    To show our appreciation for your participation in the Forums, we're offering an exclusive Forums-only discount good for an additional 5% off your iboats.com order for a limited time.
    To redeem, simply call our Customer Service Team at 800-914-1123 (Open M-F, 9am - 8pm Eastern Time) and mention the Forums 5% off discount. Offer excludes engines, trolling motors, and electronics.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Steering Cable Fix

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering Cable Fix

I stumbled across a product in the iboats.com online Marine Store that looks like it will be a great help towards preventing steering cable seizure/corrosion. It is a Steering Cable Boot, product number 521700, that looks like a rubber sleeve from my old Ford's rack&pinion steering. Here's the details on it:

http://www.iboats.com/Steering_Cable...-view_id.39716

Anybody have any experience with this item or something similar? Only $6.13 plus shipping. Bought two, one for me and one for my neighbor. Shipment arrived two days earlier than iboats promised. Great service!
    Last edited by Willyclay; July 14th, 2008, 11:49 PM. Reason: Clarification
    Old geezer who never worked a day as a professional in the marine industry but has been fooling with outboard motors for 55+ years!

Re: Steering Cable Fix

that's, looks like it is worth a try. with that the zerk fitting you put on the cable should eliminate at lot of problems. my sportcraft will get one, asap. as the motor is on a jackplate, the the link is really exposed to weather. just ordered 3.

some guy on ebay has the for $14.95.
    FLORIDA GATORS
    TEBOW Country

Please, NO PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems. they will not be answered.
    That is what these forums are for. Post your questions, in the appropriate Forum.

Comment

Thanks, TD. Am glad to know that I was not the last guy on the planet to discover these! I like simple solutions to problems and this seems like it fits the bill. Will post an opinion on the product although it may be next spring before we have any basis for comparison. Anybody else BTDT?
      Old geezer who never worked a day as a professional in the marine industry but has been fooling with outboard motors for 55+ years!

Comment

Post a picture of yours installed. It would be nice to have a view of what this thing would look like installed? I may be buying two if I like the way it looks. If you have a spare minute, just toss up a pic or two....thanks

Cory
        91' Johnson 60HP
        "J60ELEIB"
        Fully Rebuilt Powerhead March 2008

89' Yamaha 225 V6 Excel

Comment

It can't hurt. A frozen steering cable was the final straw on my 84 OMC. The thing finally corroded to the point it froze completley and would not move.

The good news is I got a new boat out of it.....

Comment

Say ER, do you mind telling me how that "got a new boat" thing works?

Comment

Hey, the zerk deals work great. Sometimes, actually quite often, stuck steering cables can be loosened up by heating at the motor end. That's where they usually seize and heat can break them loose. Try it before trashing stuck cables. If you don't have a real heat gun use a hair dryer.

Comment

mine will be here tomorrow afternoon. will post pics Tuesday.
                FLORIDA GATORS
                TEBOW Country

Please, NO PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems. they will not be answered.
                That is what these forums are for. Post your questions, in the appropriate Forum.

Comment

here is mine installed. this ones on a project boat.
                  FLORIDA GATORS
                  TEBOW Country

Comment

TD, any issues on the tilt tube end? Still don't have mine installed yet. Been distracted by the infamous "honey-do list"!

Comment

easy as pie. spray a little wd 40 on the rod and it slipped right on.
                      FLORIDA GATORS
                      TEBOW Country

Comment

Update - Installed this sleeve on my neighbor's boat today. The motor is a 2004 Mercury 60HP two-stroke. Had a bit of a problem getting it on the tilt tube nut. Required one removal to trim burrs off the plastic tilt tube nut. After that, it slipped right into place. Hoping it will prevent corrosion. Noticed that iboats online store is OOS on this item. Any other reports?

Comment

i recommended them they must have went fast.
                          FLORIDA GATORS
                          TEBOW Country

Comment

Working...
                          X