Handling Problem - 4 Winns Fling

Fling Fun

Recruit
94' Four Winns Jet Boat (14'). When I get close to getting on plane the front of the boat starts to yaw left and right. It gets worse as I go faster. I never get to plane because of this condition, I am afraid it will get so bad it become uncontrolable.

Any hints on what would cause this and better yet what I need to do to fix it?

Thanks in advance

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Handling Problem - 4 Winns Fling

check you hull for excess water weight. saturated foam.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,...

Does it have Trim,..?? Sounds like it's Plowing.....

arboldt

Chief Petty Officer

Wow. With small jet boats like ours, ususally the faster you go the more controlled and responsive the steering is.

Do you have it WOT? It should get to plane very quickly. I've got a Sea Rayder, and not totally familiar with the Four Winns jet, but I think they're fairly similar.

TD's question about water in the bilge is a good one.

Next, I'd check steering responsiveness at slower speed. Since there is no rudder, steering is totally dependent on the direction of the jet, so you're going to have to feel this - no way you can eyeball that jet under way.

You could check to see if the jet nozzle assembly is loose when the boat is on the trailer and a helper holds the wheel firm.

Oh, yeah. There's a small corrosion-resister fin bolted under the jet assembly. If it's loose, that could account for what you've experienced.

HTH
Al