How to remove steering cable at the helm???

Bugs825

Cadet
I have a 1984 200 HP johnson and need to remove the cable at the helm. It has a pin where the two meet and I pulled it but it will not come out. I made the mistake of trying to force the steering while it was froze up. It skipped and now is giving us problems while accelerating. Its only one position of the motor that it skips so I think that its the cable. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Nathan

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: How to remove steering cable at the helm???

On mine, you undo the large nut and the wheel will turn the cable out as you pull back on the sheath.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

you have a quick connect rotary system. the pin was in a storage place. there is a hole in the connector, that you insert the pin, apply pressure to release the lock. turn wheel to the left and the cable comes out.

Bugs825

Cadet

Thanks tashasdaddy. I figured it was something simple that I was just looking past. I'll give it a shot.

Nathan

Bugs825

Cadet

ok, got the cable out today and it looks perfect. So I am assuming that the helm has been damaged and there is no way to open it up and check, right? Has anyone had this problem or knows what to look for in a damaged steering control?

thanks all,

Nathan