Looking for a used or new boat for family and watersports

girocks2001

Recruit
Hi everyone,

I'm looking to buy a new or used boat a pay less than $20000. I'm a newbie to boating.

Ideally I'd love to have a boat with a swimming platform. Powerfull enough to do any watersports. Safe for the kids.
No super expensive on gas. Not too heavy to pull.

I have so far looked at Tahoe and Glastron brands. The Mastercraft and Malibu brands look great but expensive. Is it better to buy a used mastercraft or new Tahoe?
Please advise. Your opinions would be greatly appreciated.

uscboy

Seaman
Re: Looking for a used or new boat for family and watersports

Check into the Yamaha SX/AR series. Biggest con is if you need big wake
because you're a very serious boarder - otherwise the wake is fine. And with
only $20K, you'll need to find used... new are from $28K for the 21' and $35K
the 23' versions.

Best swim platform of pretty much any boat out there. Plus, no props in the
back, so not only is it a huge integrated swim platform, but it's even safer
getting in and out. Also, Yamaha includes most things standard like snap in
carpet, bimini, depth finder, etc... things that cost more in other boats as extras.

If you do research on them, check out the forums at http://yamahajetboaters.com
There is lots of great info there.

tmh

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Well, you need to provide a bit more info - like family size, ages, etc. This will help experienced boaters give you advise on boat sizes and types that may fit your needs.

In general, many recommend not spending too much on your first boat because asyou get into boating you really find out what you need and want. With limited info I'd say you're looking for a open bow (bowrider) or sports deck boat that's good for water sports. Maybe a 19-20' for a first boat. Going 5-7 years old or so you can get a very nice one under $20k. Don't buy the "great gas mileage" sales crap - you need plenty of power to do water sports with a family (and friends) on board. the gas used when extra power is NOT needed isn't such a big difference from an underpowered boat (sold as "great on gas") vs. properly powered.

Many family boaters prefer the I/O (sterndrive) engine, either Mercruiser of Volvo Penta. Both are fine and used by most all current builders. The Yamaha is a jet drive which is somewhat new to the family bowrider market but a heck of a nice boat, IMO. You'd need to test drive any you're interested in to see how they handle for you.

You can read tons of threads here on which brands are premium, middle and entry level quality. It's too long a discussion to repeat. lots of good boat makers to pick from, that's for sure. If used, you want a boat in great condition. Don't settle for one that wasn't very well cared for - babied even - there's plenty of them out there if you look. Look on Craigslist, paper, etc.

Post back as you find "candidates" and include all info about them, most importantly the engine and drive. you'll get great feedback.

Good luck. if you don't hurry yourself into NEEDING a boat right away you can find a great boat for a great price these days. i almost wish i was looking now.......

Last edited:

dorelse

Chief Petty Officer

I have to second the vote on not buying a new boat as your first boat. Yes, you don't want to buy a used POS...but I made a lot of mistakes those first few times out and it was a lot easier (but still hurt) when that first scratch goes into the boat. It didn't feel quite as bad to me anyway.

But...if you have money to spend and a dead set on New, then like has been said, there are a lot of nice ones to choose from. Personally, I'm a Larson or Glastron fan, but...own a Bayliner presently.

I haven't tried a jet boat yet, so can't help you there.

How big of boat you want will also dictate how big of motor to get. There are lots of choices, find one you like, and then report back!

girocks2001

Recruit

Here a little more info. I have two children, 6 and 8.. So in general it would be 2 adults and 2 kids.

I'm hoping at times to have more kids on board for tubing etc...Likely at times there could be up to 4 adults and 4 kids (between 3 and 8 ).

Guys you are awesome with your help.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

look into the deckboats. more usable deck space and seating, usually portapotty. available outboard, or i/o. in price range, used.

Tacklewasher

Lieutenant Commander

My suggestion is to go and rent for this season. Try different styles of boats, outdrives etc. and see what suits your fancy.

I figure a few days renting is cheaper than buying the wrong boat.

Heck. That's what I do when looking for a new car.

haskindm

Petty Officer 1st Class

8 people requires a fairly good-sized boat. I had a 16' deck boat that was RATED for 8 people, but 8 people were falling all over each other. I moved up to an 18' center console, but it is only rated for seven people. All boats use gas and lots of it. As they say, speed is money, how fast can you afford to go?
Also the condition of a used boat is much more important than the brand. A premium new boat will deteriorate very quickly if not cared for properly and a mediocre new boat can be great as a used boat if well cared for.
If you are really new to boating, the suggestion to rent a few times is good. What looks good to you now may change once you actually spend some time on the water. Kind of like dating before you get married.