New boat, old gas.

fortyfreak9

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just boat a 18' bass boat and one of the fuel tanks has atleast 15 gallons of old gas I believe the gas is from 2006. What can I do with it?

marine4003

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: New boat, old gas.

Siphon it out..add Stabil gas treatment,or Seafoam..and use it to run your lawnmower......better your mower chokes on it than your boat motor:D

cordell

Petty Officer 1st Class

I took some 8 year old 50:1 mix, about 12 gallons of it and mixed it with another 10 gallons or so of fresh gas, 92 octane in my truck, 1998 dodge ram. I could not notice the old gas. the big ol motor sucked it down just as fast as is could!:eek:

cordell

brielly

Petty Officer 3rd Class

It depends on how well it was stoed. Was stabil used, was the tank full? etc. I drained 50 gallons of 3 year old fuel from my tank when I bought my boat. I ran it in my mower and it worked fine so I sea foamed it and ran it in my cars afted diluting it with fresh fuel and filtering out some impurities. I did this by pouring from one 5 gal. tank to another and filtering with a screen and coffee filters. A little time consuming but given the price of gas well worth it.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Adding Stabil, SeaFoam or any other additive to two year old fuel does not make it brand new fuel or any semblance of it. It will either burn or it won't. Additives are to "prolong" shelf life -- not to "renew" it. Drain the fuel, filter it if you need to and try a small amount in an engine you don't have to rely on for livelyhood. If it works, then gradually use it up in your oldest vehicle.

LORDY611

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I ran across this on the West Marine website. I have not tried it yet but plan to. At $30 per quart (concentrate) it should pay for itself due to the price of gas and repairs being what they are.

PRI-G Gas Additive
PRI?s original formula was developed more than 40 years ago for oil refineries in order to keep gasoline and diesel fuel fresh in long-term storage. For more than 15 years PRI products have been used by merchant cruise ships to fix poor quality or stale fuel, allow the use of less expensive lower grade fuels, keep fuel fresh in storage, prevent engine or boiler damage due to carbon matter buildup, improve performance and substantially reduce fuel costs by improving fuel efficiency up to 15 percent. Additional commercial markets that have benefited from PRI include: power plants, cement mix, transit bus, and school bus fleets, commercial diesel fleets, sport fishing vessels, generator service companies, construction companies, and farmers.

Gasoline sold in many states contains 8-10% ethanol. The problem with these ?oxygenated? fuels and "low sulfur" diesel fuel is they can begin to go bad within 1 month of being manufactured. Quite often by the time you buy the fuel, it has already begun to go stale. This can result in premature engine failure as well as clogged fuel systems. This is particularly a major problem for backup and standby emergency generators. Furthermore, ?oxygenated? fuels are less fuel efficient thus giving a minimum drop in fuel efficiency of 3 percent according to the major oil companies. PRI counteracts all of these negative effects of ?oxygenated? and "low sulfur" fuels. In addition to keeping stored fuel fresh for years, PRI will actually restore old fuel.

To save additional money, many customers treat standard grade fuels with PRI instead of buying more expensive premium blends without any loss of performance. Bottom-line PRI products work and the industrial strength concentration with a 2000:1 treatment ratio make it extremely cost effective.

Be Kind to the Environment, Recycle Unusable Fuel
Stop Paying for Hazardous Disposal of Old/Stale Fuel
PRI restores old, stale and poor quality gas, diesel, kerosene, etc.

haskindm

Petty Officer 1st Class

If the gas smells more like varnish than gasoline, it is no good. I don't know whether the product above can rejuvenate old gas, but I have my doubts. If it smells like varnish contact the EPA in your area to find out how to dispose of it, it is considered a hazardous waste. In my area, the county dump has an "amnesty day" a couple of times a year when homeowners are allowed to bring "hazardous materials" to the dump with no questions asked. That may be a possibility. If it still smells like gas, let your neighbors know that you will provide free gas for their mowers. Let them know what it is and that they are using it at their own risk, but they will probably be happy to get it.

marine4003

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I took some 8 year old 50:1 mix, about 12 gallons of it and mixed it with another 10 gallons or so of fresh gas, 92 octane in my truck, 1998 dodge ram. I could not notice the old gas. the big ol motor sucked it down just as fast as is could!:eek:

cordell

Cordell...I had a 1988 dodge Ramcharger...I think you can run those Rams on KoolAid...Great truck:D

fortyfreak9

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I got the boat running today on the old gas, there is about 1/2 tank left, I figure I could just fill it up with 92 octane and it should be ok?

Kev144

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I got the boat running today on the old gas, there is about 1/2 tank left, I figure I could just fill it up with 92 octane and it should be ok?

Should be fine i guess but as some had suggested, adding stabil will do nothing. It's ment to prolong life, not refresh it. Dont waste your money.

NCLakeboater

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you buy a boat and fill it it up with a full tank of new gas but not be able to use it very much before putting it up for winter, will the gas be good for a 4-5 month layoff if you had a stablizer like Stabil added?

LORDY611

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you buy a boat and fill it it up with a full tank of new gas but not be able to use it very much before putting it up for winter, will the gas be good for a 4-5 month layoff if you had a stablizer like Stabil added?
My experience is yes, it should be , usable. It may not be just like fresh gas but it should be OK. I have used Stabil for many years now with decent results. I put in the stabilizer per instructions on the bottle and run the motor for at least several minutes, to be sure the chemical has worked its way into the carbs. Then I disconnect the gas line to the motor and let it idle until it runs out of gas. Then I pull the plugs and fog the cylinders with fogging oil and replace the plugs. Then I change the lower unit oil, and put the motor in the barn/shed for the next 10+ months. The next summer, hook up the gas line, prime it, and fire it up. Cant recall that regimen not working for me. I just ordered some PRI-G fuel additive (stabilzer) which I hope will more than replace Stabil. I'll have to report back on it's performance when I know more.

fortyfreak9

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have an 89' Johnson 110 HP, I am new to boating and what I need to do in the end of the gas/first of summer. What is fogging? How is it done?

fortyfreak9

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well I siphoned the gas out of my boat and put it in my 77' chevy 3/4 ton and it seems to run fine, the gas was actually really clear and smelled and looked new. Thanks all.