What type of life vest do you have?

airframer

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: What type of life vest do you have?

depends.... for fishing, mustang is really comfortable but for the rest of us... well they just sit in that storage compartment in the bow:)

Boatist

Rear Admiral

We have 6 type 3 vest. Each member of our normal crew has one that they like and fits good. Then we carry 2 outer type 3 for guest. Last we have 2 type 4 throwable cushions.

Inland lakes and rivers they normally never come out of the locker.

Ocean water everyone puts one on before we leave the dock and it buckled and adjusted before we leave the protected waters.

To me the best Life Jacket is one that you like how it looks and how it fits, that way you will wear it.

Also each jacket has a water proof whisel and a strobe light atached.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i have the good ole orange standard vest, that stay in the storage locker. i have an auto inflateable belt vest for myself, auto vest type for Sylvia, and several stearns. for guest. 2 throwables.

haskindm

Petty Officer 1st Class

I use a suspenders type inflatable. As a Coast Guard Auxiliarist we are required to wear a PFD whenever we are underway, the inflatable is very comfortable and cool in the hot summer Sun. The best PFD (life vest) is the one that you will wear.

rbryant1492_mfb

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Seems odd so many have vest but dont use them...

DRIFTER_016

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have 3 type 3's on my boat (in the forward storage) :redface:
They are there to be legal as for the most part they are only needed so that the RCMP can find the bodies if an accident occurs.
Even in summer the water is so cold and the area so isolated if you get ejected into the water there is likely to be no one near by and hypothermia will set in in very short order and then you know what happens next.

Luckily I am blessed with a thick layer of blubber like a walrus, float like a cork and retain body heat and thus can last for days bobbing around the lake. :D

Woodnaut

Chief Petty Officer

Several Type III life vests. If we're on the boat, then the life vests are on us. Every person, every time, no exceptions. :)

CATransplant

Admiral

I have a Type III I wear in rough weather. My wife has one, too, for the rare occasions when she deigns to set foot in my little boat. We are part of the Big Brothers/Big Sisters organization and have a 14-year-old boy we mentor. He has his own, carefully-fitted vest, and I wear mine, too, when he's aboard.

I also have an assortment of orange vests that will fit anyone from small kids to obese adults. I pull them out and put them in the boat, as needed.

None but the Little Brother's vest were purchased new.

Navy Jr.

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I've got 4 Type IIIs from Cabelas. One for me; one for wife; and two for our adult sons if they happen along (well, we actually have 3 sons, but it rarely happens that all three can get together in the summer).

Also have 2 doggie PFDs for our golden retrievers, Winnie-the-Pooch and Tilly. I only wear mine when boating alone, but pups always wear theirs no matter what. They are our kids, and the CG says children must always wear PFDs when on boats like ours!

ziggy

Admiral

myself, a 4 buckle evolution vortex, 50mph impact type III
gf, a kawasaki 4 buckle, 50 mph impact type III
on board are,
2ea. type II orange pfd, adult
1 ea. type III large 4 buckle kawasaki, 50 mph imact
2 ea. type IV, throwable cushions that both me and the gf sit on. one because it's handy. two, trying to save my old interior. three, i like the added height it gives me.
both type III's sit right next to me and the gf and i put mine on at the least sign of any problem.... both type III's for me and the gf have whistles attached......

arks

Lieutenant Commander

I often boat solo- even on the big boat- so over the years I've gotten in the habit of wearing my SOSpenders. I've got an "offshore" model that self-inflates and has 33# bouyancy. The less expensive "coastal" models have significantly less floatation, so know what you buying.
After an initial adjustment period of a few days, I barely even feel it, even in the hottest weather. I won't leave the dock without it these days. I like to jump in the water every year to test it too, because those bobbins don't last forever....
I also like to sea kayak, and I have a special-purpose ($$$$) Kokatat PFD for that hobby.
Safety should never be measured by dollar bills.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Stearns Voyagers, type III. Always wear it when underweigh. Do take it off when we stop to fish.

Scout Sport Fish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I love the neoprene/gel ones.

Comfort, flexible, and look decent.

jennis9

Petty Officer 1st Class

2 cold weather mustangs
3 sports vests
7 orange standard
2 child vests with crotch strap
2 belly binders
1 jimbouy life ring

What I really want is one of the self inflating mustangs for hot weather. maybe my husband will get me one for my birthday.... :)