Hydraulic Helm

jmarcar

Cadet
I have hydraulic steering but my steering wheel "sticks" when I turn it to the right. It turns a few degrees, gets sligthly stuck, if I push harder it moves. this process is repeated thoughtout the turn. When I turn to the left, it is fairly smooth. Other times when I turn the wheel to the right it can go 180 degress before the boat responds

If I listen closely at the hydraulic helm I hear what appears to be some slight grinding noise. I was wondering if my hydraulic Helm has gone bad or I have bigger problems. How easily are they replaced? Do I need the exact match for the helm I have or can I purchase any brand?

Any insight would be appreciated.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Hydraulic Helm

are you sure you have a hydrolic helm. not a rotary or rack. people do get them confused.

jmarcar

Cadet

It is a Sea Star Tilt. It is on a 1996 sea ray dc laguna o/b. the manual says it is part number 317032

jmarcar

Cadet

no I'm not 100% sure. I'm not even sure waht a rotary or rack helm is. How can I tell?

jmarcar

Cadet

Sorry. I never answered your questions. No. there are no leaks. Do you have any links on how to purge and refill the system?

jmarcar

Cadet

Sorry again. I sent that last reply without following your link first.