Watersports - turn engine off between riders?

tmh

Lieutenant Junior Grade
OK, this may be in the wrong forum, but I don't see a general "Watersports" forum and this isn't specific to any one activity, although right now we mostly do tubing.

I always kill the engine as we bring on rider in and put another on the tube. If the rider hasn't fallen off the tube, I usually pull them back to the boat with the tow cord and they just climb onto the swim platform. If they fall of they may be swimming to the platform.

Question is, am I correct to turn engine off each time for safety or is a boat in Neutral safe to be around the prop? Seems kinda scary just typing it, but I want to know what the real boaters do. I do hate starting my engine 10 times in a short period, but I really don't know why - just seems like not the best thing.

Thanks as always.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Watersports - turn engine off between riders?

safety always first. kill the engine, before boarding or debarking.

lucky7

Petty Officer 1st Class

i would much rather buy a starter every year than have a kid hurt.

cpubud

Chief Petty Officer

i never let anybody on or off with motor running. always better safe than sorry.

fixb52s

Chief Petty Officer

Stay your course with shutting the engine down. There just might be a time when the prop might not disengage and you don't want to see the carnage of that. Besides, the CO at the transom is strong, so that would be reason 2.​

Like stated before, a $300 starter is a lot cheaper than a possible bill to repair body parts of a tuber. Not only that, but the memories of that is something I would not want.​

2kwik4u

Seaman Apprentice

Depends on whos with me.

If it's "Guys night at the lake" which is pretty common during Wednesday nights in teh summer time. Once the motor is on, we leave it on as people come in/out of the boat wakeboarding/skiing/skating/etc. It's only with these buddies of mine that I feel comfortable as we all own boats, and understand the dangers of the prop, the motor, and the CO content in the air. We don't loiter near the rear of the boat in the water, we don't come up to the boat from the right (ladder is on the left), and we're cautious about where our feet are in relation to the outdrive when boarding. We hit the lake at 5:30 and have ~3hrs of ski time, and have found that we can be suited up and change riders faster than we can turn the motor off/on. Sure, we'de only lose 10 minutes a night of time waiting on a restart and setup so it's not even a good reason, just an excuse I suppose. I don't reccommend, or encourage our actions either. If at any point someone wants the motor off, it's not a reply of "Are you sure?" it's a reply with a turn of a key and "Done". the only reason we leave it going is because of time.

If it's ANYONE except these 2-3 guys that are well educated, and vigilant about doing it safely, then the motor is stopped until all parties are well clear of the outdrive. Like said above, I'd much rather drop $300 on a new starter, and some additional maintenance than I would a single doctors bill for an injury.

If you have any doubt on the safety of the situation in regards to boarding/exiting the boat for watersports........Turn the motor off!

12vMan

Lieutenant Commander

I always turn the ignition off when anyone is off the boat. Period.

I've never had an accidental injury, either.

wca_tim

Lieutenant Commander

Always turn it off when someone is near enough the prop (or getting ready to be). that way there's no chance anyone can slip, fall, lean, step on etc... the controls... I realize it would probably be a fluke for something like this ot happen, and that it would probably never happen to people like us... but the consequences would potentially be so severe that no reason of convenience or expense is worth the risk.

I don't point loaded guns at anyone either - even if the safety is on...

bhammer

Ensign

Another one here that always shuts the engine down. I don't let folks on the swim platform without the engine being shut down. I just like the safety of it, and secondarily, the fuel saving.

45Auto

Commander

I think I'll stay away from WCA_Tim. I've seen 4 accidental weapon discharges and the first thing they all said was:

"I didn't think it was loaded!!!!"

Rule 1 of firearm safety is to ALWAYS treat firearms as loaded. NEVER point a weapon at someone unless you intend to shoot them, whether the safety is on or not.

Firearms safety rules;

1) All guns are always loaded!

2) Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy!

3) Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target!

4) Always be sure of your target!

I kill the engine anytime anyone is getting into or out of the water around the boat. Too many ways to accidently get someone with the prop if the engine's running.

tmh

Lieutenant Junior Grade

OK, that's what "felt right" to me so now it's confirmed for me - engine off when switching riders.

Let's not start this into a gun safety thread.....not what it was about. the dude was kidding anyhow....

arboldt

Chief Petty Officer

Let's think about this...

1) I have a jet drive, not a prop, there there is a bit more safety in that (but still, that jet stream can be dangerous).
2) Even in neutral, there is some propulsion from the jet pump, so I'm never totally in neutral.
3) If the next rider is ready -- life jacket on, on skis or ready for tube, and the tow rope is always extended out, then I keep the engine going. That means no one is near the back of the boat and there's no waiting. In reality, I can't remember that ever happening.

Practical description --

I drive in toward shore, the skier drops off or hops off (tube), I circle around, and the next rider either hops of the tube or grabs the tow handle and we're ready to go, then I leave the engine running.

If the first one has to take off the skis, and the next person put 'em on, change life jacket from first to second person, or wade out and bring the tube in for the next person, then I shut the engine off.

If the rope is slack so someone's close to the drive area, the engine is shut off.

guy74

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I grew up using an inboard ski boat, we never shut it off while switching skiiers. I really never thooght about the safety factor of the prop being way up under the boat. Anyway 3 years ago we had an incident involving a mis-adjusted shift cable, an outboard motor, and a hurry up as a storm was coming up. We normally shut the motor off when switching, but we didn't that time. I was away from the helm putting the ladder over the side, my cousin was swimming around to the ladder, and my wife had jump in and had her head down putting on the skis, she was gonna ski back to the dock where we put in. Anyway, the motor was in reverse, even though the control was in neutral. With the wind blowing, I couldn't tell the motor was in reverse. The boat, idling in reverse, backed into my wifes back-side, resulting in a bad day and 45 stiches to her rump, and the top of her right foot as she kicked away. Guess that is as good as any reason to shut it off as any, we never really thought much about it, since we got in and out over the side of the boat. Stuff happens, it's always best to shut it off when people are in the water anywhere near the boat. My $.02

bjcsc

Lieutenant Commander

I think I'll stay away from WCA_Tim.

Why? He agrees with you...:confused:

I leave my engine running, but I wouldn't if I had a prop...

Maclin

Admiral

Engine off. Blower on.

If I feel like I need to let the engine idle for any reason then nobody gets to leave the boat for a bit.

amynbill

Petty Officer 1st Class

Always off on my boat if anyone is getting into or coming out of the water for any reason.

FusionFrank

Seaman Apprentice

I always side on the side of safety and always turn the engine off while switching tubers. I have noticed though, prior to turning the engine off I have to let the engine idle for about 30 seconds. If I come to a quick stop and immediately turn the engine off, the engine will "diesel" and keep running and knocking which I know is not good at all. This adds more time to the tuber change but I am taking care of my boat as well as the people who are on it.​

Thunder_SS

Cadet

Ok guys, here is a question for ya.

With the engine shut off, do anybody use the outdrive as a step? I have a 2 step ladder, and it is usually the case the I use the bottom step, then the outdrive, then the top step to get back on the swim platform.

How much weight can the outdrive actually take.

DRIFTER_016

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok guys, here is a question for ya.

With the engine shut off, do anybody use the outdrive as a step? I have a 2 step ladder, and it is usually the case the I use the bottom step, then the outdrive, then the top step to get back on the swim platform.

How much weight can the outdrive actually take.

When my engine is off and I am swimming I use the cavitation plate of my outboard as a step to re enter my boat. It works great, an I/O may or may not be up to the task though.

wca_tim

Lieutenant Commander

I agree wholeheartedly with your firearm points below, have taught the same to more than a few beginners, and am a very staunch advocate of appropriate firearm safety. My daughter started shooting at age 6 when I built her a cut down single shot sporter chambered in 22 cb cap and was shooting some of my lighter comped AR rigs by the time she was 9 or 10... I NEVER point ANY weapon at something I do not intend to shooting and I don't keep company with people who do... Life (mine, yours and anyone elses) and even property is simply too precious to take chances with such things. Anyone who tempts fate with firearm (or reloading) safety is very likely to wind up hurting themselves, or much worse having to live with the knowledge that they hurt or even killed an innocent bystander. You know the ones... you can almost see Darwin tracking their scent...

All I really intended by my post above was to make the point that just because the boat wasn't in gear didn't make it safe, and in fact could lead to a false sense of security... Sorry if I conveyed anything different.

No way on stepping on outdrive... Props can be sharp, drives are slippery and made of metal (ouch)

Right now I'm running a sharp 4-bladed hydromotive cleaver prop... landing wrong on it could be a bad day at the emergency room... unless of course you get really (un) lucky and cut the femoral artery in the process... then the emergency room would probably not be an issue...

I think I'll stay away from WCA_Tim. I've seen 4 accidental weapon discharges and the first thing they all said was:

"I didn't think it was loaded!!!!"

Rule 1 of firearm safety is to ALWAYS treat firearms as loaded. NEVER point a weapon at someone unless you intend to shoot them, whether the safety is on or not.

Firearms safety rules;

1) All guns are always loaded!

2) Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy!

3) Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target!

4) Always be sure of your target!

I kill the engine anytime anyone is getting into or out of the water around the boat. Too many ways to accidently get someone with the prop if the engine's running.