How Do You Remove large Outboard

sunaj

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a cuddy with a Johnson OB 100+ hp and need to remove the engine to repair a partially rotted transom, I would like to know what tools (cherry picker?) you need and how to attach to the engine in order to lift it off safely, thanks in advance:)

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral
Re: How Do You Remove large Outboard

Some outboards have a spot to screw in a lifting eye, which can be pricey. You can also use leverage to do the work, unhook the outboard cables, etc. and remove the anchor bolts/nuts, have a bud or two stabilize the motor while you raise the trailer tongue until the transom clamp is free of the transom, then move the boat out and help your buds set the outboard on a motor rack or in a large, heavy duty wheel barrow so it can be moved where you want it. Another option is heavy straps, an overhead beam and a come-along or winch. Whichever option you choose, be safe while doing it.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

My 85 Johnson has a lifting eye under the cover behind the flywheel. I currently have it hanging in the back of my garage while I repair my transon. I bought a cheap block and tackle from HarborFreight and had the motor up and off the boat in seconds.

Here's a completely useless picture of it hanging there that doesn't show the block and tackle and barely the lifting eye

DSCF1213.jpg

Woodnaut

Chief Petty Officer

I have a 2006 Yamaha 90 HP four stroke that weighs about 380#. I went to the local tool rental and rented an engine hoist. It was cheap, and most importantly, safe. I bought a short peice of wire cable and a couple of clamps to fit up to the lifting eyes that were already on my engine. When I was done, the lifting cable assembly I fabricated got thrown into the gadget drawer for the next time I need it. ;)

These engines can be really heavy so safety first. You can mess up the engine, linkages, your boat or yourself in a heartbeat.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

some people use a 4x4 across the garage ceiling joist, and a come along, or block and tackle, some rent an cherry picker engine hoist, that has wheels on it, so you can move the motor to a storage area. you need a stand to put the motor on. some are foolish, and use man power, these motor are very ackward to handle, no place to grip. injury is very possible, when not using the correct lifting equipment.

Attachments

• motor stand 001.JPG
    motor stand 001.JPG
    75.6 KB · Views: 0

fdmsiv

Petty Officer 1st Class

ezmobee -

How long have you had your engine hanging? I would like to do the same, just was curious about how long I can leave it hanging.

sunaj

Petty Officer 2nd Class

OK thanks for the info, next question does anyone know if an older Johnson electro matic has any hooks built in for lift?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

ezmobee -

How long have you had your engine hanging? I would like to do the same, just was curious about how long I can leave it hanging.

Probably at least a month. I have a 9 month old so that should tell you how often I get to work on the boat :%

LORDY611

Petty Officer 2nd Class

OK thanks for the info, next question does anyone know if an older Johnson electro matic has any hooks built in for lift?
Cant imagine a motor of that size without some means of suspending it using onboard loops or similar. Some may even have places to put in your own hardware. Others I've seen have a plate steel tab with a hole in it thru which you place a hook from a winch.

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander

My 77 140 johnson doesn't have a hook on it but bob's sells one for $50.

I just got two friends and we picked it up and moved it over to a stand I built out of 2x4's.

It was real easy and only took a minute.

cordell

Petty Officer 1st Class

I use a come-a-long and a tow strap :)

cordell

MaxOD

Cadet

You can use a small plate of 1/4 inch steel big enough to cover the flywheel bolt holes that are used to attach a puller for removing the flywheel. Mark and drill at least 3 holes and drill a larger one in the middle about 3/8". Buy a large eye bolt from the hardware store to put through the middle hole and bolt it to your flywheel with bolts about 2" long. There you have a lift plate that will hold very secure with little cost.

sunaj

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks all, think Ill try Maxod's method

Andy in NY

Commander

I had a 73 evinrude that had the hook in it. But it ws only a 50 hp 2 cyl, so it was only about 190lbs. me and 1 other guy were able to safely lift it off and onto a homemade engine stand. i found plans for onw here, and built ot from that.

32310484967.jpg

Willyclay

Captain

My 1968 Johnson 100HP V-4 with electric shift has a lifting ring attached to the powerhead behind the flywheel. Be aware that the motor does not come off exactly vertical when you lift it clear of the transom. Good luck!

jojo999

Cadet

If your outboard doesn't have a lift ring then you can purchase one from your local marine supply store. Always remember that safety is #1 when moving larger outboard engines.

/George
Argo Boat