• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hydrofoils???????

what exactly does a hydrofoil do
    hi tek rednek

Re: hydrofoils???????

Do you mean the ones you bolt on your motor?

They lift the back of the boat, gives you quicker plane times and your boat will stay on plane at slower speeds.

They claim to give better fuel mileage but anything that causes more drag can't do that.

There are a bunch of threads on here of people debating wether or not there good, search around it's some good reading.

I personally don't like them and plan on putting smart tabs on my boat.
    [SIGPIC] 1982 Baja 16ss

Comment

It acts like a wing and pushes the hull of the boat out of the water, thus causing less drag, and allowing higher speeds with less thrust.

Comment

ok thanks
        hi tek rednek

Comment

Usually they do the opposite of what they claim.

Often installed by inexperienced boaters, usually on underpowered boats.
          Medford, WI

Comment

so it wont hurt to put on a small motor like a 50
            hi tek rednek

Comment

i would like to know what combination you have, boat and motor. i personally hate foils, smart tabs are a much better bang for the buck.
              FLORIDA GATORS
              TEBOW Country

Please, NO PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems. they will not be answered.
              That is what these forums are for. Post your questions, in the appropriate Forum.

Comment

They don't do half of what's claimed on the label and you can't just bolt one on and expect some magical improvement in performance, this is where the negative opinions come from. There are things they will help with, but you need to make changes in the set up to to make any gaines and that's only if you do need one to begin with. Tabs are what's needed most of the time and if you don't have a problem, then neither will do anything.

Comment

had hydrofoils on my 17 ft. 140 hp bass boat, took them off and put on smart tabs, wow what a diffrence

Comment

what is a smart tab anyone please post a pic they sound good
                    hi tek rednek

Comment

what is a smart tab anyone please post a pic they sound good
                      search it on iboats. or, they is in the marine store here on iboats.... http://www.iboats.com/Marine_Store/d...--submit%2Ey.0
                      google it.... theyz the ticket. forget the foil (whaletail) idea. smart tab is where it's at. bet ya can't find one person that don't like them after install on a search here.......

no i don't have them.
                      no i don't have a whale tail either....... but i've had one in the past. all it did for me was break my vent. plate....

i would have them if i thought for a miniute that i needed a lift at the back. or wanted to drill holes in my boat. which i don't want to do.....
                      'Lime Time'
                      1975 AristoCraft Nineteen
                      Mercruiser 165hp (chevy 250 L6), MC-1 drive

Comment

thanks my next investment instead of a hydrofoil will be a smart tab thanks for all your help
                        hi tek rednek

Comment

Originally posted by rdnk_4_lf View Post
                          thanks my next investment instead of a hydrofoil will be a smart tab thanks for all your help
                          They made a world of difference in my boats handling.

Comment

yeah how do they mount on do they go on the outboard or on the boat
                            hi tek rednek

Comment

Originally posted by rdnk_4_lf View Post
                              yeah how do they mount on do they go on the outboard or on the boat
                              On the stern as close to the out side as possible. Google Smart tabs. they have instructions

Comment

Working...
                              X