Towing a small tender

Drowned Rat

Captain
Does anyone here tow a small inflatable behind their larger boat? How fast do you tow it and do you ever load gear in the tender when towing? I'm thinking a small (8 foot) inflatable could be towed on plane as long as you didn't have any gear in it and you used a bridle. Too much weight or too rough water conditions and you'd probably rip the d-rings off. But the little boat weighs so little, I can't imagine it would hurt. Anyone ever try this? I've got an 8' Zodiac (roll up slatted floor) and a 2.5hp Suzuki 4 stroke that weighs about 25 pounds. I would want to leave the motor on the inflatable while towing, but nothing else in the boat.

EricR

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Towing a small tender

I see it done all the time, on snailboats (yes, intentional misspelling.:p) they haul them in short when motoring up the intercoastal, so the bow is actually up out of the water.

On powerboats they use a long rope when on plane to let it back past the propwash, when they come in to a marina or to dock, they slow and drift, and haul it in short, usually put a crew member in it to dock it separately.

I have seen large yachts and cruisers tow 35' twin outboard boats behind on passages.

I think if you made sure your bow eye was up to the task and you had a good towline there's no problem with what you want to do.

dodgeramsst2003

Petty Officer 2nd Class

First of all, let me clarify that I don't tow a tender, and never have, but was thinking about your question. I know I see it all the time, but those things are light. Even with the motor attached. I see tubes with kids on them flip all the time, would a tender do the same thing if you got in some wierd chop? Not trying to discourage anyone, but thought it was something to think about.

Chris

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

there is an art to towing a tender, under different conditions, some times you have to shorten up, other let it out.

dodgeramsst2003

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I figured there was something to it. Seems to me like that tender is a $2500 kite just waiting to happen.

chris

Drowned Rat

Captain

Thanks for the replies. I'm just curious how much abuse those d-rings can take. I've also seen power boats tow them up real close with the bow slightly off the water, but I don't ever remember seeing one being towed on plane. There's probably a reason for that.

Thanks again.

dodgeramsst2003

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You might contact the manufacturer and talk with them about what the D rings are rated for. You might also ask them if they recommend towing them behind a boat or not. I have seen RIBs towed behind a boat on plane before, as well as jet-skis, etc. If I'm not mistaken they use those same D rings to lift them with davits on the larger boats. I can't image that you would put much more stress on them than being on the back of a boat catching the wind.

Chris