Marada Deck Boat - How fast should it go?

khollands

Recruit
Hello - I just bought an old 1994 Marada explorer Deck Boat, 21 feet with Mercruiser 120 HP. I am tyring to figure out if the boat is heavier than it should be, perhaps having water in the hull or wet foam, or if the boat is really just that slow. On a calm day I made a quick stop and a little water came over the front, leading me to believe that maybe it was sitting too low? I don't believe that the spedomoter works, for it never registered a speed. If you know how fast a boat that size should go I would love to know. Thanks so much - Karen

Dakota47

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Marada Deck Boat - How fast should it go?

Have you turned on the Bilge pump?

tysonnathan

Petty Officer 1st Class

Is it quick out of the hole? What are your RPMs? Could have a prop pitched for fast starts and slow top speed.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

you have a small 4 banger in a 21 foot heavy boat. ain't gonna be a rocket ship. i have a 23 ft deck boat, with 5.7 liter.

khollands

Recruit

Yes - Bildge holes are below water line, I believe it has wet foam in it. Sp I am about to cut a hole under the couche style seats and see whats going on below. With the large furniture I could cut holes and remove wet foam, would you agree?

RyanSS

Petty Officer 3rd Class

uh....if the bildge holes are below the waterline, you have a big problem. What's preventing water from filling the hull through those holes?

Nandy

Commander

uh....if the bildge holes are below the waterline, you have a big problem. What's preventing water from filling the hull through those holes?

Most non-comercial boats I know have the bilge holes under the water line. Actually, I believe the definition of bilge is the lowest point of the boat.

kholland, the power plant you have if not the "ideal" for that boat if you are looking for speed. However, there is no telling if it is under the "correct" speed until you can check the speed. You are better using a gps as most of the speedometer are not accurate especially at speeds under 20mph. If you can try it with the lightest set up you can. Also, if you have access to a local dump or a highway weight station you can take it there and weight the trailer/boat combo then leave the boat with a responsible able skipper at the lake and just weight the trailer and you get your weight. The NADA website sometimes has the "correct" weight for different boats. that will give you an idea if you are packing water or not.
Let us know your findings, good luck.

Quid

Cadet

Most non-comercial boats I know have the bilge holes under the water line. Actually, I believe the definition of bilge is the lowest point of the boat.

Pretty sure he was referring to the through hull hole for the bilge pump, where if that is under water then yes, there is a huge problem.

Chipping in my opinion I would think that package should hit low 30s at best. It is normal to have some water over the front at times on a quick stop.

Quid

Cadet

Not necessarily Nandy..... the hose is attached to the bilge pump, not just a straight open hole. It would, however, be indicative of another huge problem making it ride that low in the water...