Critchfield boats

ezmac

Seaman Apprentice
Does anyone have an opinion about them? I can't find anything about them on the internet. I'm interested in a 1999 17ft center console. Any comments would be appreciated.

ovrrdrive

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Critchfield boats

I grew up riding in a Critchfield 16.5' speedboat...

Man I loved that boat. The motor blew about 10 years or so ago and since then it has been sitting behind Dad's shed. Ours was a 1972 model and i really don't have much to say about it other than with the Merc 135 on it it was a seriously fun, and fast boat. The transom was replaced in it twice I think, and just before we retired it after the motor blew it needed a new floor. However, the boat we had that was made in '72 is a very different boat from what you're looking at.

The name has heritage to me, and personally I'd be thrilled to be buying one. Other than that, I didn't even know they were still making them as late as 1999 (and maybe even later??) so I can't say a lot about the newer ones.

Billy McAdams

Recruit

Does anyone have an opinion about them? I can't find anything about them on the internet. I'm interested in a 1999 17ft center console. Any comments would be appreciated.

I have a 1968 22ft. Critchfield.I have owned the boat for 16 years and love it . We live in
Panama city beach fl. and use it both in the Gulf of Mexico and on inlets. Just a great boat. We use it for diving, fishing wake boarding and sking. I did take the 6 cy. out and replaced it with a 350 mercruiser. The old boat will fly, when it plains off that 350 makes for a great ride. It seems no one knows to much about the early days of the company. They were first built in south florida some time in the early 50s. I have only heard of one other Critchfield in Panama city but do not know who ownes it.It is a very easy boat to work on. I do have a little inf. on Critchfield if want to call me Billy McAdams 850-624-7539

silverwings

Recruit

Hi, bought my 1973 seventeen' critchfield last year from o/c maryland as a project and it took all summer before i was able to put it in the water. After a couple of days it wouldn't start, so i had to put a stater in it,witch cost me about five hundred dollars. and it was worth it, still had some good weather to fish and crab. the motor is around late 70's and is a johnson 70. and she flies thru the water. Trying to learn how to do the jellcoat now, so if you know anything to help please let me know. Every where i go people look at my boat, and i did have to make my trailer. hope to meet some of those other critchfields fans. e

tromper45

Recruit

I have a newer 17' hull I made into a closed deck speedboat. Runs real nice in choppy
water. With a 100hp 2 stroke Evinrude and 15x21 prop she'll do 45 mph. This hull is about
15 deg vee and has bumped out sides near the gunwales

lsucole

Cadet

The original Critchfield boat company was owned by Bobby Critchfield in Florida. When he died (early 80's I think) Huey Bell now in St. Amant, Louisiana, bought the molds from Bobby's family and still makes the boats himself one at a time. It is a good quality "inexpensive " boat witha smaal but loyal following in S.E. Louisiana. They primarily make v-hull bay boats -- not sure if they still make the old original tri-hulls, though they did just a few years back. Ronald's Boat Brokers in Gonzales, La. is a Critchfield dealer and could give you more info -- Sorry I don't have his #.

busted-bayliner

Petty Officer 1st Class

soory for the bump i just bought this boat last week it been in a basement garage since 1985 got it to my mother inlaws cleaned the carbs new plugs an impeller an this 70 hp johnson fired right up took it out on the water and it did pretty well i have a few pics
the boat is a 1973 18 ft critchfield with a 1974 70 hp johnson

IMG-20120527-00080.jpgIMG-20120527-00081.jpgIMG-20120527-00082.jpgIMG-20120527-00083.jpgIMG-20120529-00086.jpg

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

Great looking older classic IMO, I would check that trailer close because it looks kind of small for that boat, but heck other than that she looks like a runner!!
Nice find!

busted-bayliner

Petty Officer 1st Class

Great looking older classic IMO, I would check that trailer close because it looks kind of small for that boat, but heck other than that she looks like a runner!!
Nice find!

yes you are right bout the trailer being to small for the boat i think with a lil work to the trailer i can make it work thanks for the input she is a very nice boat floors are solid im a big guy 245lbs i can jump in the boat and nothing moves lol im very happy with the purchase
got the original horn and lights workin last night the kids love that horn