Best Answer to Scupper Issue

Hennessey

Seaman Apprentice
I'm looking at a Scout that has the problem of water backing in through the scuppers....that whole thing.

It's not a deal breaker in my book, but I want it resolved. Puddles + October striper fishing don't mix.

My question is this: What's the best and most thorough resolution to keeping the water outside of the boat, where it belongs?

Boat is a 2006 Scout 175 Sportfish with 90 Yammy 4 stoke. If i can resolve the scupper thing, it's a perfect rig.

Do I just plug the drains from the inside?? Problem here is, the openings are about 1 7/8", so I haven't found anything yet that'll do the trick.

Ball scuppers? A different kind than the factory installed ones already on the rig? I'm not familiar with all the different types.

If anyone with this issue on the Scout can chime in, that'd be great.

Or just any advice in general would be a great help. I want to seal the deal and get out on the water. With my feet dry.

KeyWestBoater

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Best Answer to Scupper Issue

I replied to your thread about this awhile back. I have a KW1520CC. I think my scuppers are around the same size. Some KW plugs came with my boat. But I found some that work even better at Ace Hardware down the street from my house for about $5 for both. It's a tapered solid rubber plug that fits nice and snug. They had a large assortment in increments of about 1/4" With the taper, that allows some leeway in finding something that fits exact. Besides since it's tapered the more you push it in it makes a tight seal. In my case the plug sticks out of the hole about 1/2".

They go on the inside.

Hennessey

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks KW, I must have missed that. I'll check out Ace.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

take part of the load out of the stern. the extra weight of that 4 stroke is probably why your scuppers are under water.

Hennessey

Seaman Apprentice

Tasha -

Unfortunately, the load in the stern is about as minimal as it can get. Short of repowering with an e-tec, which would shave 80 pounds or so, there's nothin else back there adding to the weight.

The boat is already rigged with the Yammy, so I'm SOL there.

Again, I'm not sure this is a deal-breaker for the boat (which I'm close to buying), but I might be mistaken.

What do you guys think?

tashasdaddy

as said, you can always use a stopper. a 175 is not a large boat, so i assume you are not going way offshore, so it should be fine. if you get into rough water, pull the plugs, so the scuppers can do their job.

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander

I've got the ball valve scuppers and they dribble a bit too. In fact, they are better when loaded than not as the deeper they are pushed under water, the stronger their inclination to float, thereby plugging the hole better. I've got the same kind of tapered plugs Key West is talking about and they stop it all dead.

Buy that boat man -- you will love it.

(I didn't want to piddle on the parade of the guy recommending the Pioneer boats. Beautiful lines but I looked at all the literature for them and nowhere did they explain the manufacturing process of the boat or the inner structure. They talked a lot about being the best in the business, highest quality hardware, etc., but nothing specific about their hulls. Even the "Manufacturing" link on their site was vague marketing hype. Check out the Scout site for construction info in comparison...Sure they may be more expensive, but quality, unfortunately, costs...)

Hennessey

Seaman Apprentice

Scout...cool deal man. Yeah, I think I'm gonna go for the Scout.

Out of curiosity, where'd you get your deck plugs?

And do you think it's worth installing the ball scuppers to help out a bit?

tashasdaddy

ball scuppers are the best made, they still have there draw backs.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

On an inland lake you?re probably pretty safe but you will never find me plugging up a scupper. That totally negates the reason they're there in the first place.

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander

Scout...cool deal man. Yeah, I think I'm gonna go for the Scout.

Out of curiosity, where'd you get your deck plugs?

And do you think it's worth installing the ball scuppers to help out a bit?

The boat came with both the ball valves and the plugs, or more correctly, the previous owner either bought them separately and installed or the boat came with them.

As for the worth of valves, I'm really not sure. I should take them off for a proper comparison. Reason I say this is when I'm just sitting on the dock enjoying a refreshing beverage or two beside the boat, I can hear the balls rattling a little bit within their housings as wave action rocks the boat. That tells me they aren't fully seating all the time. And if they aren't seating all the time and the boat isn't really getting that wet, maybe they aren't all that necesary.

Now, I'll bet they are quite handy if you are doing some prolonged heavy reversing into a chop. That would certainly push water in without the valves.

As for the plugs, I'd never leave the boat unattended overnight with them in, but if I'm there and can easily pull them I don't see a huge problem. All depends on what I'm doing at the time. If it's just out tubing and goofing around and water's splashing everywhere anyway I don't bother putting them in but if I'm say transporting a bunch of gear to my step father's island in Georgian Bay for the weekend and the floor is stacked with stuff, I plug em up so I don't end up with damp duffel bags, etc.