Skeggard-Does this look right?

ilmostro99

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I was wondering if anybody could let me know if this looks right. I am a new boat owner and really don't want to screw anything up. I just bought my first boat, a 1999 19' Sea Ray 190 Bow Rider w/5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1 I/O. There is a fairly small chip on the bottom-rear part of the skeg, so I decided to purchase a Skeggard. I tapped it over the skeg, but it just didn't look right to me. As you can see in the pictures, there seems to me to be too much overhang towards the prop, and the top of the Skeggard is not parallel to the prop housing. I don't think there will be any issue with the prop actually contacting the Skeggard. There is room there, but not much, maybe 3/8". So, before I drill, could somebody tell me if this looks ok, or if they sent me the wrong part. I ordered it from Overtons "for Mercruiser Alpha I drives '85-'90" but it did not say what model it fit on the packaging when I received it. The only thing on the packaging was part # 99002, but this does not match Overton's "item #". I am assuming that Part # 99002 is for Skeggard and has nothing to do with Overton's item numbering system.
Thanks in advance,
Erik
'99 Sea Ray 190 BR
- I hope I was able to make myself clear enough

Attachments

• Photo-1.jpg
    Photo-1.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 1
  • Photo-2.jpg
    Photo-2.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 1
  • Photo-3.jpg
    Photo-3.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 1

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Skeggard-Does this look right?

Ayuh,.....

I've never use 1, But, that Doesn't look right to Me.....

dgopetactical

Chief Petty Officer

I have one and mine went the whole way up. yours looks a tad crooked and seems to need another tap or 2 with a rubber mallet. if it wont go up any further try to streighten it up.
Denny

TilliamWe

Banned

That fit is definately not right. So either the Skegguard is bent or your skeg has a bend in it that isn't allowing the guard to slide all the way up.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

It's not the right one. The 002 number is for an Alpha I, you have an Alpha I Gen II drive and need the 003

http://www.boatboys.com/mercrz.htm

Moving to Boat topics and questions (not engine Topics)

samm835

Chief Petty Officer

No that fitting isn't correct, I bought one for my last boat which had an Alpha 1 drive on it. When I got the skeg gaurd it was the exact same as what you have pictured. I bought mine on ebay, and was able to return it for a larger one. I didn't realize that they made different sizes, so I just told the guy (with picture) that this item didn't fit, so he sent another one that fit perfect. I never asked, I just assummed he sent a different size. You should call the place you got it and tell them your situation.

OhWellcraft

Petty Officer 1st Class

That is not the right fit, don't drill anything until you get the right one. You said there was a small chip if that is the case and it were me I would file it smooth, round over the edges to match existing hit it with a bit of touch up paint and call it good. I have seen boats with half the skeg missing being driven without issue. I'm not reccomending it but a small chip on the rear edge won't have any affect on the boats handling. I would take the money and spend it on other stuff for the boat, but thats just me. Good luck and welcome to boating.

ilmostro99

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You said there was a small chip if that is the case and it were me I would file it smooth, round over the edges to match existing hit it with a bit of touch up paint and call it good. I have seen boats with half the skeg missing being driven without issue. I'm not reccomending it but a small chip on the rear edge won't have any affect on the boats handling. I would take the money and spend it on other stuff for the boat, but thats just me. Good luck and welcome to boating.

Yeah, I know, but I guess I wasn't being entirely honest. I caused it. While I am brand new to boat ownership, I am not that new to boating. MANY summers skiing everyday behind a friend's boat when I was younger, and I was in the Coast Guard for a bit also. After I bought it, the weather turned and we had over a week of rain. Needless to say I was anxious and as soon as the weather broke, I took the new (to me) boat out with the wife and kids on a cold day - hey, I was excited. Anyway, they made me go back to the dock, and were cold and miserable, and wanting to hurry up to get in the truck with the heater. Well, in my rush, I forgot to trim the motor up and chipped it on the dock. I've had the boat out since, and I couldn't tell the difference in ride/handling, but though I am not a rich man, $105 is a VERY cheap fix to the twisting knife in my heart every time I see it. May it also serve as a "Shining" (pun intended) reminder to never rush what should be done right.
- Erik
'99 Sea Ray 190 BR

ilmostro99

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Wow, you guys are great. The Skeggard was on as good as it was going to get. I am so glad that I decided to ask this forum before drilling. I am going to give a call to Overtons this morning and let them know that I probably ordered the wrong item, and see if I can get an exchange. I'll keep the list posted. BTW, how would I know for sure that I have the Alpha 1 Gen II drive?
Thanks again,
Erik
'99 Sea Ray 190 BR

OhWellcraft

Petty Officer 1st Class

I certianly didn't mean to imply anything or offend in any way. I just know how it is when first getting a boat it seems there are always things you want or need and I know the skeggards aren't cheap. And everyone has done something dumb, like the time I forgot my drain plug - yikes - either way Overton's is usually quite good on returns etc you shouldn't have any problems with that. Look at the outdrive where it mounts to the transom there should be some ID numbers on it somewhere which might help getting the correct one for exchange. good luck

ilmostro99

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I certianly didn't mean to imply anything or offend in any way. I just know how it is when first getting a boat it seems there are always things you want or need and I know the skeggards aren't cheap. And everyone has done something dumb, like the time I forgot my drain plug - yikes - either way Overton's is usually quite good on returns etc you shouldn't have any problems with that. Look at the outdrive where it mounts to the transom there should be some ID numbers on it somewhere which might help getting the correct one for exchange. good luck

OhWellcraft, no worries, I didn't think you implied anything and I wasn't offended at all. In fact, I am grateful that you let me know that it really wasn't a big deal. This wasn't the first dumb thing I have done and it certainly will not be the last. If I were the type that got offended over little things, I would spend my days sitting around being miserable all the time. In fact, I kinda like a little rousing. The last time I took my family out, my wife suggested that I pull my head out of my a** this time when I trailer the boat. Then rubbed it in by saying that had I spent the money on a new diamond ring for her, she certainly wouldn't have scraped it on the ramp. Of course, I gave her a mean look, but that was one of the funniest things I have heard in a long time.
Thanks again for the info. I really do appreciate it.
Erik

ilmostro99

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well, all of you were right. I ordered the wrong one. Overtons was great, they said just send it back and they will replace it with the correct one. Thanks again for everybody's help.
Erik - still wondering what was wrong with me for
not getting a boat years ago.