Updating Cable Steering to NFB Rotary....

TdLpps

Seaman Apprentice
Have a question regarding the two kits that Teleflex offers for a single cable steering system--an upgrade for my cable-steered 1959 Naden runabout. Beside the obvious, is there a significant difference between the two helms Teleflex sells (Safe-T II -versus- NFB 4.2 Rotary)?

The 3 turn helm will have more steering effort, but how much? Is the extra effort worth the quicker steering. My boat is light and is currently powered by a 40hp Evinrude, so the higher effort will not likely be unmanageable for me, but I intend to have my wife and kids pilot the boat as well, and don't want to make it too difficult for them.

So, have any of you driven a light runabout with either the 3 turn or 4.2 turn helm (or both), and are you willing to provide some feedback or advice?

Thanks

JCF350

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Updating Cable Steering to NFB Rotary....

If your have your family out all the time you ain't gonna need quick steering.
Your not exactly in a really go fast high maneuvering rig .
Go with the 4.2 turns.

JUSTINTIME

Captain

3 turns will be better for high speed apps
less turning the wheel

TdLpps

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks. I understand the difference in terms of 3 turns versus 4.2 turns, and don't think that a 3 turn box in a light boat with modest horsepower will really be too heavy...for me. I just don't know how much the practical difference will be. I also know that a 3 turn box will put more pressure on the dash panel than the 4.2 box will. My boat has a relatively lightly-built dash panel. But will it be enough to make a difference.

Also, I haven't seen the inside of the 4.2 box versus the 3 turn box. Does anyone know if one is more robust than the other, does one have a significant difference in materials or design, or are they identical with different gear ratios?

Again, thanks for the responses.