Fuel Deck Fill Question

tex599

Seaman
I have a bass boat, with a built in fuel tank with a flip open deck fill opening. It turns out this is not waterproof when closed. I had to drain the fuel tank last week, due to water and engine not running. Put a fuel/water separator on it, refilled tank, everything was good. Took out yesterday, boat ran fine and then all of a sudden would not run. Again water in the tank, now I know some water does ride up over the transom in rough water or when going from full speed to idle. Any suggestions on how to cure this? I was thinking to put a new deck fill with a water tight cap, but this does not seem possible.
Thanks,

TEx

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Fuel Deck Fill Question

are you sure you are getting it there and not the vent?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

I've never seen an unsealed fuel cap. Check the orientation of your vent to se if it?s not the culprit.

tex599

Seaman

Thanks guys, the vent is pointed down and sits right above the transom. I am almost positive it is getting water through the fill. The boat sits really low in the water, as it is, so any larger wave will sometimes put water on the back of the deck. Also when putting the boat in the water can also push water on the rear.
Thanks,
Tex

Woodnaut

Chief Petty Officer

Tex - I had an identical problem. When I built my boat I placed the fuel tank vents as high up on the sides as they would go and somewhat aft. I was getting spray into the vents. I relocated them as high up as I could get them in the transom well (just forward of the OB - but not actually on the transom) and it solved the problem.

I have seen some boats that have them located on the sides but covered with clamshell vent covers so as to prevent the spray from impinging directly on the vent. If yours are located on the transom and she sits a little low in the water you might have to relocate them to a more protected area. Regards - Woodnaut

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Thanks guys, the vent is pointed down and sits right above the transom. I am almost positive it is getting water through the fill. The boat sits really low in the water, as it is, so any larger wave will sometimes put water on the back of the deck. Also when putting the boat in the water can also push water on the rear.
Thanks,
Tex

Are you sure you don't have a o-ring somewhere on your filler neck? I've never seen, and in fact I would venture to guess that it's a Coast Guard requirement for the fuel cap to be sealed as to prevent the leaking of fumes and a possible explosion.

Are there any marking on the cap to identify the make and manufacturer?

tex599

Seaman

The manufactuer of the fuel fill is Attwood and there is not an o-ring on it. Does anyone know if it should have one on it? I might just try putting one on it and see if that seals it. It's getting kinda of expensive to test with fuel prices these days.
thanks
Tex

fishmen111

Chief Petty Officer

By all means get one on there. Some makes are recessed in the base and some in the cap. Mine is Attwood and in the base. As others stated, you also really need to move your vent as high as you can to the rear side with the clam opening facing rear.