how to shine aluminum rails?

chads30

Cadet
I was cleaning my older pontoon boat and I guess some of the chemicals were to harsh for the aluminum rails around the boat.
What is a good product to make aluminum shine and look close to new again?
Thanks in advance

MikDee

Banned
Re: how to shine aluminum rails?

I've had good results with WD-40 sprayed on, & wiped down, it preserves too,,, or, Gel Gloss fiberglas, & metal polish from Home Depot, or Lowes, by the way, (Seapower boat wax) is the same exact thing.

Captain Paul

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Mothers makes a paste that works well, as does 3M. Another great product is this link below. I really prefer it to a paste in many applications. If you do use a paste, start with a small amout in a small area. A little dab will do ya.

Shine on

http://www.nevrdull.com/Where.htm

TheWoodCrafter

Chief Petty Officer

It sounds like the cleaner you used etched the aluminum. This may take some mechanical pollishing. I would think any aluminum wheel pollish would clean it up. That and some elbow grease.

captain zac

Petty Officer 1st Class

Flitz

with buffing wheel on drill

Captain Paul

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Almost forgot, Mothers Power Ball (foam-2 sizes) Works good with paste, like the flitz tip from captain zac.

budsbud662

Seaman

as long as they are not ribbed wet sanding with fine sand paper works.. use lower grit for bigger scratchs, work up.. buff off with mothers. your rails will look like mirrors, i promise! i ussually finish with 1600 or 2000 grit. then hand buff with mothers.. its time consuming, but very very worth it for intricate detail!

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

Be careful. The rails on mine are anodized. Anything that has abrasive in it will eventually remove that thin layer.
Which will allow the underlying aluminum to corrode like you never saw before.
And you will have to polish and wax for ever more.