Lacquer thinner????

pbuzz3323

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Cleaning hull with Lacquer Thinner for first paint...seems to works very well,,,at 15% of cost of "real" Cleaner.,...But I promise not to use House Primer as first coat..haha

5150abf

Vice Admiral
Re: Lacquer thinner????

Aluminum or glass?
If it is aluminum and you are painting bare metal make sure you use an acid etch primer, car primer won't stick.
If it is just a repaint I have used thinner as a prep solvent, let it dry and tack cloth before you hit it with paint.
Don't now how much you have painted but prep is the key, did my truck last year, oddly enough I hit a guys guide-on at the launch, his trailer was fine but didn't do much for my truck, spent 30 hours on prep and 4 actually painting it.
Good luck.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Depends on what kind of auto primer you are talking about. I went to an auto paint store and got etching primer, base and clear coat and it's dang near indestructable. Be sure to follow directions, that stuff will kill you if you breath it. Some places only sell to professionals for that reason.

pbuzz3323

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I purchaed the Lowes lacquer thinner but Im rellly lost here now...It seems to do a good job and cleans everything off my fiberglass hull...I still havent decided on the sand or no sand method so I borrrowed a 5" random orbit sander with 80 grit and sanded 1/2 the bottom...Now I cant seem to figure out.."HOW MUCH SANDING IS ENOUGH"? Can I still go the no sand primer even though I partially sanded the hull? If i was sure enough on how much to sand Id have no problem...Im hitting it pretty good with the 80 but then should I go even coarser???b I Know this is THE MOST IMPORTANT PART BUT IM KINDA TORN NOW..WHICH WAY??? OHHH ALSO...iT DOESNT APPERA YOU EVEN NEED PRIMER IF USING THE SANDING METHOD,,,ACCORDING TO INTERLUX?

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Holy crap! 80 grit is WAY to coarse.
You only want to scuff the surface to give the paint something to stick to, 320 is fine, anything more than 180 and you will see sanding marks when you are done, go with 320.
With the 80 you are gonna have to put a couple coats of primer to fill all the scratches not to mention eating through the gel coat and you are alot more likely to get a reaction that way.
Eching primer and acid etch are the same thing, I was talking about normal high build car primer on bare aluminum.
If you are gonna take the time to paint you may as well do it right, even if you go with the etching primer still hit it with some 320 or a fine Scotch brite pad is good too to get rid of surface defects and you don't have to use primer if you sand but it will make for a better paint job, at least prime where you hit it with the 80 grit to help smooth that out.

pbuzz3323

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It actually came out pretty smooth with the 80..I didnt over do any spots...the 80 was mostly done on the keel to about 2 feet out in either direction. I will use the light grit on the rest but i assumed you had to totally get rid of that shine or it wont stick...Hope I didnt mess it up!!!!!!.........this following quote came directly from interlux website on painting bare fiberglass... I Know I used the 80 grit for some reason

"After the surface has been prepared as described above – Sand entire surface well with
80-grit sandpaper until flat matte finish is obtained. Remember to change sandpaper
frequently. Wipe off sanding residue with Fiberglass Solvent Wash 202. Apply two coats
minimum of Interlux?‚ antifouling paint"