E-tec 150 or Volvo Penta 4.3 (190)

erlindbl

Seaman
After an extended search, I have nailed my new boat purchase down to either a Glastron GT 180 with an E-Tec 150 OB or the GT 185 with the 4.3 Volvo Penta. I will be buying one at the boat show this Thursday. My current boat of 24 years (Sun Ray 16.5 foot with the OMC 5.0 liter) finally bit the dust. It was a fantastic boat 215 HP and you can't find them like that any more.

I use the boat primarily for water skiing and wake boarding along with some tubing. I also use the boat for fishing but not as often. I am leaning toward the OB but am trying to justify the 6K difference. I could get the 185 I/O configured as I want for around 23K but the O/B will run 29K. I am most concerned about pulling power. We like to ski double and triple on single skis and no one is real small. I like the fact the O/b boat weighs in at around 1900 with engine while the I/O will come in the high 2000 lbs.

I know very few people have the E-Tec 150s on the type of boat I am looking for. I would be extremely interested in hearing from anyone out there who has the engine on a boat around this size. None of the boat test articles have tested this boat. A dealership describes the 180 with the E-tec as a 60+ mph boat but I am skepticle of that because Evinrude's own tests on similar weighted boats come in around 50. In any event, I will be toning down the prop for pulling power.

Any input would be appreciated..... and I hope it isn't a proplem this is a double post. I put it in the boating section but I really wanted to get some input from those who know outboards......

Thanks again

erlindbl

Seaman
Re: E-tec 150 or Volvo Penta 4.3 (190)

I guess I screwed up with the double post.......

I apologize..

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

looking at the two boats side by side, my ususal complaint about an I/O is loss of deck space, but the way these are designed, they are laid out the same. i would go VP 4.3 any day. and i am an etec fan. but for what you are doing i think the 4.3 with smart tabs added will be the best pulling combo. you had and i/o so you know the maintenace. runs several outboard boats, but i also have a 23' deckboat with 5.7 VP.

Wassachu

Seaman Apprentice

These are both great motors. By the size of your boat I assume you will be trailering the boat each time you use it. To me, the biggest difference would be if you intend to leave this boat in the water at a marina. The in/out will be in the water all of the time where as the outboard will be mostly out of the water. The later varies a little from boat manufacturer to boat maufacturer.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

both rigs will tolerate trailing or docking very well.

Mike Robinson

Senior Chief Petty Officer

A friend of mine has a few outboard shops and he carries Bombardier Outboards. I asked him one day about the E-tec outboards and he said that parts etc. where hard to get. He didn't really elaborate on this and I noticed all the boats he leases out have Mercury's so it may be a personal bias on his part. It might be worth enquiring about at your local shop.

Last edited:

erlindbl

Seaman

Thanks for the input. The servicing issue is a good point. I have done all of the servicing and repairs on my I/O for the last twenty years. The E-tec only needs to be serviced every three years but I know I would be way out of my league if any repairs were needed and I would have to take it to the shop. The other main drawback for the E-tec is the extra 6K.

I guess the only question I have left is which, if anyone knows, would have more pulling power with this boat. 90% of what I use the boat for is waterskiing or wakeboarding.

Thank you