Transom Board for my 84 Starcraft 12ft Flatbottom Jon Boat

praisnm

Seaman
ok, so i got this jon boat...i have posted other threads..but figured i would keep one topic to a thread...

as you can see in this pic...my transom is horrible...
Photo_022808_003.jpg

i have taken the area where the red is at...drilled out every rivet that holds the transom board...and the board on the outside...i have two 5/8in thick pine plywood...which, i just learned. WOOD ISN'T THE SIZE IT SAYS!!! so anyway...they are actually 1/2 in thick...here is what my transom needs
42in on top...36 1/4 in on bottom...and 7/1/4 tall. so i have these 2 plywood pices cut out for the transom...i need to glue them together. i have bent the back part one the corners...bent that up to slide the new transom in...the board is not the most sturdy thing...and it is kinda soft, but i am only using a 7.5hp motor..that weighs 50lbs...and the transom will have metal on it where the clamps touch. anyway...i am thinking about putting bolts through...rather than dealing with rivets. i have discovered they make rubber washers...so i think i will put metal washer on bolt...then rubber...then put the bolt through the back....then a metal washer...then nut once it has gone through everything..that way when i tighten it...it will not dig into the wood. what do you all think? i would really like to have a solid board for the transom, but can't find anything 1X7.25X42...all the 5/4 boards were 6in wide...well the 5/4 brought it to 1in thick...and 6in brought the board to about 5.75in or so wide...

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Transom Board for my 84 Starcraft 12ft Flatbottom Jon Boat

glue them together with this, http://www.stickwithpl.com/Products.aspx?ID=fef65cc9-47bf-4802-aaa9-a343f2ef9458

spred it on like you were laying ceramic tile, then clamp and screw together. then either cover with glass, or atleast 3 coats of oil base exterior paint. i usually thru bolt mine back in, using 3m 4200 sealer in the hole and under the washers.