car wax vs marine wax

torcano

Chief Petty Officer
Is there any difference between car wax and marine wax? More UV protection? Is it OK to use car wax on a fiberglass boat?
Thanks

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral
Re: car wax vs marine wax

Never used marine wax, but have had good luck on glass and aluminum boats with plain old car wax. A lot of stuff labeled "marine" simply carries a higher price tag for the same ingredients. Others will chime in soon.

jennis9

Petty Officer 1st Class

while we're at it... anyone use a buffer - just wondering about results. we've got a 20' aluminum starcraft bowrider.

puddle jumper

Captain

Ive never really have gotten a answer to that. But Ive got a shelf full of car wax and use it after every trip out on the salt water and works well. I think some one said once that as long as you have a large amount of carnauba wax content in your wax you will be happy.

Now to or not to wax the bottom of your hull is the real question.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Ive never really have gotten a answer to that. But Ive got a shelf full of car wax and use it after every trip out on the salt water and works well.
If it works so well why do you need to use it every trip in saltwater?

I use Collinite "boat wax" once a year and it's good until the next spring. Thats 50-60 "works well" car waxes a year.:D

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Let's clarify some terminology first. There are "Cleaners", there are "polishes", there are "waxes" and there are "cleaner/waxes". In a nutshell, you use a "cleaner" to clean the finish and ready it for wax or polish. Most of the generic waxes are actually "cleaner/waxes" which in theory both clean and wax in the same application. Waxes serve a dual purpose: 1) they trap the contaminants that would otherwise attack the finish and 2) they produce the shine you want to achieve. Any products that are safe for use on a Corvette are ok for your glass or aluminum boat. Buffers work, but you can burn the finish or buff through paint if you aren't careful. Unless the boat is extremely dirty there should be no need to use a buffer. Many better quality cleaners and waxes don't require a great deal of rubbing. Mothers and McGuires are two that I prefer.

cbavier

Lieutenant

Is there any difference between car wax and marine wax? More UV protection? Is it OK to use car wax on a fiberglass boat?
Thanks

Yes there is a difference and NO it is not OK to use a car wax on a fiberglass boat. Car waxes contain chemicals that are harmful to fiberglass. Make sure the bottle is labeled safe for Fiberglass or Fiberglass Boats.

jennis "Quote"
while we're at it... anyone use a buffer - just wondering about results. "Unquote"

Yes you can use a buffer by using extreme caution so as not to burn the wax.
The best buffer to use is a variable speed set at SLOW speed. I've never tried using a buffer on an Aluminum boat but assuming your just doing the paint I don't see why it wouldn't work. It works good on Fiberglass and painted Fiberglass.

I'm in the business

Chuck's Fiberglass
Color Restore

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

"Any products that are safe for use on a Corvette are ok for your glass or aluminum boat."

Careful, a Corvette is painted and your not waxing the fiberglass, your waxing car paint.

"I've never tried using a buffer on an Aluminum boat but assuming your just doing the paint I don't see why it wouldn't work."

But if it is not painted aluminum and appears to be naked aluminum, be careful. What appears to be naked or polished aluminum may have a clearcoating that a buffer could remove. There after requiring constant maintence to keep it the way it was before you buffed off the clearcoating.

torcano

Chief Petty Officer

Thank you Chuck. You have convinced me no to go with car wax. Do you suggest any specific brands?
RK

cbavier

Lieutenant

Thank you Chuck. You have convinced me no to go with car wax. Do you suggest any specific brands?
RK

Collinite 925 or Meguiars Flagship Premium Marine Wax. Collinite is hard to find. Just type it into Google. There are many different Collinites. The Insulator Wax is the same as 925. If you need a cleaner go the #870 then finish up with a coat of 925

# 870 - Fleetwax (a liquid cleaner with wax)
# 920 - a Liquid Cleaner (no wax)
# 925 - Fiberglass Boat Wax (a straight gel-like wax with no cleaners)
??? - a straight hard paste wax (I'm not sure of the number)

If your Fiberglass boat is oxidized or heavily oxidizedThe process will be completely different with different products to restore it to the original color.

I apply the Meguiars Flagship Premium Marine Wax with a buffer but take it off with a rag because it comes off so easy the buffer is just a pain.

Proper preparation is essential. You don't want to wax dirt or oxidation into the wax. Your actually sealing the Fiberglass and or the Paint. Then KEEP IT WAXED! I recommend three times the first year and twice a year after that.

As someone else stated you probably could use a Corvette Fiberglass wax BUT WHY?

torcano

Chief Petty Officer

Chuck, thanks again. My boat is only 4 years old and has been well maintained and waxed several times. I'm a new owner. There is no oxidation. I'll head out to my local marine store or order from the net.
RK

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

I have been using Turtle wax on my boat for four or five years. Works great!

I have to admit, the boat wax is so expensive, I just can't justify the cost of it to wax a 43 year old boat.

puddle jumper

Captain

If it works so well why do you need to use it every trip in saltwater?

I use Collinite "boat wax" once a year and it's good until the next spring. Thats 50-60 "works well" car waxes a year.:D
Because i like the water to bead all of the time and i don't have a large surface to wax. If i keep up on it it only take me about 10 minutes to wax her and if a let her go it take about 2 hours.;) Plus i don't pay anyone to do it.

orion25

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have been using Turtle wax on my boat for four or five years. Works great!

I have to admit, the boat wax is so expensive, I just can't justify the cost of it to wax a 43 year old boat.

I paid about $10 for a bottle of meguires boat wax (cleaner way I think). This is a good bit less that the meguires Tech Wax 2.0 I use on the Jeep and Nissan.............

Boatist

Rear Admiral

I re do the teak and wax the boat one time a year before our week long Ocean Vacation. I have use both marine wax, Marine cleaner wax and car wax.

The Marine cleaner wax does work a little better on the bottom for for getting the roller marks and some water stains off.

Also on the bottom I use a 6 inch buffer anywhere I have room. For me a lot faster and less pain when waxing above your head. Still have to do by hand in all the tight spots and area between the trailer and the supports when have boat lifted off.

I like doing the top and the side and stern but the bottom is real work.

My boat is Painted Aluminum Crestliner 21 foot.

Most of the time I use NU Finish for the deck sides and transom and West Mmarine Teflon polish for the bottom.

cbavier

Lieutenant

Also on the bottom I use a 6 inch buffer anywhere I have room. For me a lot faster and less pain when waxing above your head. Still have to do by hand in all the tight spots and area between the trailer and the supports when have boat lifted off.

I like doing the top and the side and stern but the bottom is real work.

My boat is Painted Aluminum Crestliner 21 foot.

Most of the time I use NU Finish for the deck sides and transom and West Mmarine Teflon polish for the bottom.

I too use the 6 inch buffer to apply the wax. The bottom is a bummer because your lying on your back sliding on a Poly Tarp.

How does the NU Finish hold up? last? Do you think it would last on Fiberglass?
The bottle says for Fiberglass and Fiberglass Boats. I'm looking for something that is Really Hard and will better protect the painted finish and not water spot so bad. I'm fighting water spots all the time.

Boatist

Rear Admiral

The reason I use NU Finish is consumer report many years ago where Nu Finish was call the once a year car wax. Of course then did not test over a year. What they did was wax the cars per instructions on the products then run them thru 52 car washes. After each wash they compared how the water beaded up. NU Finish was the only one that they said was a true once a year car wash. On my boat the shady side really last a year but I do it about twice a year. On the sunny side it more like 3 or 4 months. The white deck does good at twice a year. The bottom should be done more but I hate doing it.

I do not know about fiberGalss as my boat is painted aluminum. My truck is painted steel. All I would suggest in try a small spot where it will not be noticed and see how it does.

The only hope for water spots is soft water and dry before it can dry. Hard water and the beads drying up leaving the minerals behind is water spots. Wash when it is cool if possible and dry right away. That what kids are for and wifes in bikini can also help.