bilge cleaner

torcano

Chief Petty Officer
I noticed a little grease and oil coating my bilge. Does anyone have a suggestion for a good bilge cleaner? What is the best method to keep it clean?
RK

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: bilge cleaner

man...i wisher i had a name for ya....

i was testing my boat a few years back and the oil filter gasket blew out.

i saw the oil pressure drop and i instantly shut the motor off and got a tow back to the marina.....(i was close)....i draned the oil outta the bilge... and the marina gave me some stuff in a gallon jug.....pour it in ans swish it around......i could have eaten outta the bilge after that.....

ill call them on tuesday and get a name

torcano

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks. There are several commercial brands available. Does anyone have a preference? I assume this should be routine cleaning maintenance.
RK

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

There are lots of commercial Bilge cleaners. I have use some of them, and they didn't work too well, likely because the directions (which I followed) say to just let it "swish" around the bilge for a day or two. I think you need to brush it into the dirty areas.

I like to use Castrol Super Clean, since it cuts oil and grease well. I use a brush to work it around the greasy area, and it works very well. Simple green and Spray 9 also work well.

thurps

Chief Petty Officer

Easy Off then Simple green or soap and water.

arboldt

Chief Petty Officer

I just use a little Tide and a good brush with enough water to rinse al lthe crud away -- this is on the trailer, not in the water.

JCF350

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I noticed a little grease and oil coating my bilge. Does anyone have a suggestion for a good bilge cleaner? What is the best method to keep it clean?
RK

The Coast Guard had (or still does) a list of approved cleaners for this. Stuff was biodegradable.
As for keeping the bilge clean install a drain or catch pan under the engine, you'll have fabricate one but well worth the effort if and when something happens.