Steering cable replacement Force 85

meganby

Recruit
I want to replace the steering cable on my Bayliner Capri 185 (Force 85hp). Any ideas on what I actually use to do this? Am also replacing the lower unit on this engine (some say I'm mad, but I'm just financially challenged i.e. cannot afford new speedboat!). Anyone got any tips on either (a) replacement of the steering cable (steering is so stiff its near impossible to take a left in it!) and (b) replacing the lower unit.

Many thanks.

Margaret

Jack Daniels

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Steering cable replacement Force 85

I would have one of the mods move this to the FORCE thread. Alot of the guys there will be able to help you out. We dont think your mad for rebuilding the lower unit. The FORCE OB is a very easy motor to work on yourself. Dont listen to the haters, good luck.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i'm leaving it here for the steering question, post you motor question in the Force forum. you need to determine the if it is the helm, cable or the motor, causing your problem, disconnect the steering at the motor, if motor turn freely, turn steering wheel, if it is stiff disconnect cable under console, and turn, it wheel is free, you need a cable, then you need to determine the type system you have either a rack system or a rotary system.

this is rotary
rotary.jpg

this is rack
rack.jpg

determine what you have and get back with us.

meganby

Recruit

MODERATOR: can you move this thread to Force engine area? Thanks.

Thanks a lot for your reply. My steering is the second pic "rack" and will be at boat this weekend to do your recommended tests!

Talk to you after weekend cos I will need help locating the necessary parts.

Margaret