need input.mercury verado or optimax 150??

Rodrunner

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hey guys I posted this in another spot with little feed back. I'm buying a 18' sylvan fish/ski combo. The dry weight is app 1500#. I think 150 horses will be plenty to pull a skier??? I need some advice as to which motor to go with. I feel the info here is fair and unbiast. Not that hte dealerships are biast. Anyway thanks for your input and all info is greatly appreciated. I know very little of each motor as stated below.

verado: heavier, 4-stroke, quieter

optimax: lighter.2-stroke, smelly,

D

DJ

Re: need input.mercury verado or optimax 150??

The Optimax is NOT "smelly". You won't notice any typical 2-stroke issues.

On that boat, I'd go Optimax.

I have a 4-stroke Merc, but it's on a pontoon.

For performance, go Opti. The issues have been worked out and they're sound engines, especially the 150.

Rodrunner

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Are you saying go with the optimax because its lighter or are there other reasons. Thanks for the help:cool:

QC

Supreme Mariner

Lighter, faster, lower maintenance, good fuel economy.

rndn

Commander

Go with the Optimax. Much better motor for watersports.

Rodrunner

Petty Officer 3rd Class

thanks a bunch for your replys.I'm all ears:D

Rodrunner

Petty Officer 3rd Class

thanks a bunch for your replys.I'm all ears:D

j442w30

Petty Officer 1st Class

Go for the Opti, they're great engines!

donnymac

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I know, I know, what a sap. But the Verado is a more enviromentally friendly engine. The only performance loss will be the weight. Check out Mercury's web page. Watch the videos and compare for yourself. I haven't checked, but the optimax is probably cheaper.

Rodrunner

Petty Officer 3rd Class

yep..optimax about 1400 cheaper and close to a 100# lighter..I dont mind spending the extra $ if its a better motor,but sounds like I should go with the optimax.

mlsjohn

Recruit

If you are still looking for info on verado i can give you my opinion after 2 test drives. I have a 22 ft sea ark about 1700 #s without engine. I had a merc. new style 115 hp 4 stroke i order new last april with boat. I run it about 150 hrs and averaged 5 mpg. at 4600 rpm at 26mph, top speed 38 mph at 6100 rpm. I liked the 115 in every way super quit and really good on fuel. no trouble in the whole time i had it. I put a 200 hp 4 cyl verado on last week, WOW, I went from a 4 blade 13 pitch by 14 dia. prop to a 5 blade 21 pitch by 13.25 dia at 5900 rpm 50 mph, fuel use by smartcraft at 4600 rpm and 38 mph 4.5 mpg. I don't think my fuel use is much less as it only has 4 hrs. on motor. Its still new and can't give long time experience, so far i really like the verado. when you push the throttle forward it jumps, It is noisier with the suprcharger. hope this helps john

Rotorfixer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have the 150 opti, love it, instant snap when you move the throttle, verados weight is a big deal on boats as small as ours...... (My transom would not accept it)

NFA

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm getting a 150 Opti put on my 18' Maxum bowrider. I'm getting just the stock prop with it, any suggestions on best prop for skiing? The entire package is probably around 2300lbs give or take.

Thanks;

SSS

QC

Supreme Mariner

This thread is almost a year old and you will get more and better info in the propeller section . . . ;)