1st Boat Montgomery Ward 12ft...Please HELP

praisnm

Seaman
ok, i can't seem to find anything on montgomery ward 12ft Flatbottom jon boats...i just traded a cheap gun for this...it is green 3 benches...needs new transom board...anyone know how to do that??? also...i live in missouri...we have to have a title on the boat...i don't have a title...and the boat is sooo old, and i don't think there is a seriel number on it...where would a number be located? there are 2 white plates that were nailed into the transom board...that probably has a seriel on it, but i cannot read much on it...i am getting a Johnson 7.5hp motor really soon and just want it for river hopping..and getting onto and boating around islands on the missouri river. i just cleaned up the boat yesterday...one of the white plates fell off...and the other will probably fall off soon...there are no stickers...i see a spot on the boat on the back side that looks like stickers were there a long long time ago...what do you all think? i can't find a picture of the boat online either. i will post pics when i get home form work.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1st Boat Montgomery Ward 12ft...Please HELP

well a monkey wards boat is going to be atleast 30 years old. you are going to have to talk to Mo, registration dept. laws a different in every state.

njlarry

Petty Officer 1st Class

you might be able to register it as home built. Good luck with your classic.

jal

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Look for a plate on the back seat.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,....

Around here,....
The Paperwork for a little tinboat is worth Twice as much as the Tinny Itself.........

freddyray21

Commander

I had a similar situation happen to me here in Missouri. A boat that small unless you are going to put a motor on it does not have to be titled and may never have been. You need to get it inspected by the Missouri Water Patrol and they will fill out paperwork for you and you can take it to the DMV and they will give you a title. It is actually very easy for that size boat.

praisnm

Seaman

SORRY FOLKS...THE GUY TOLD ME WRONG
looked at the white plate on the transom board...it is soooo hard to read anything on it...most is scraped off..anyway...found the model number of
1430-12
looked this up...and found the REAL maker...Starcraft 1430-12 11.5ft 80lbs...can cary 300lbs..and max of 5hp...
so here is the deal. i got a seat and swivel mount..and stand...i think this will be the case...seat sitting too high when mounted on the back bench...and the back bench seams really close to the motor...and the handle will probably reach to the seat (just a guess) the motor is a Johnson 7.5hp motor...that is all i know. i have not purchased it yet. it is Grey...i have not seen it either...but i am only paying $100!!!
anyway..so i put the seat partway on...and if you push down on the stand...the bench metal pops from bending in a little...so i am gonna put some wood across both benches to give some stability...i was also thinking i might put some sort of coating on the bottom to make slip resistant so the dog isn't slipping around when ducks are flying in...and i was thinking about making a stencil...and spray painting the outside a camo color...like light brown to look like the sadow grass camo..but not nearly as good of course. the transom board is softer than cake...so i am probably gonna put some wood on the outside of that...both on the iside of the boat and outside...what kinda wood should i use...and any recommendations on how to attach it? i don't wanna make holes...and can't really work with the rivets in the boat. i will then try to rig some wheels on it that will flip up to sit in the boat when on water...and flip down so that i can drag it to the water with ease.
here are some pics of it right now
this is the boat with some tools in it...since i am working on it :)
Photo_022808_003.jpg

Photo_022808_002.jpg

Photo_022808_001.jpg

this is some pics of possible motors that might be the one i am buying
i think it is probably the 1st one
johnson.jpg

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u267/davidsportfolio/johnson3.jpg?t=1204224709
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u267/davidsportfolio/johnson5.jpg?t=1204224735
this is a pic of some random boat like it
see the white plates on the transom board in the 1st pic?
36.jpg

praisnm

Seaman

here is what i found out the motor i will be getting is a 1954 Evinrude 7.5hp anyone know what kinda oil/gas mix to use on those?

Stuff4Toys

Cadet

Always 50:1 except for a few rare Johnson/Evinrudes from the 70's that had a sticker on the side that said 100:1

Everything from a 1 HP to old 250 HP Carb engines use 50:1

JOhn ><>

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

The oil will be marine grade TCW-3. I wouold get a confirmation on the mix ratio as some of the engines in those early years did not use roller bearings and needed 24:1.

Bondo

Staff member

here is what i found out the motor i will be getting is a 1954 Evinrude 7.5hp anyone know what kinda oil/gas mix to use on those?

Ayuh,....

I believe you'll find it's 1 Quart of Oil, for 6 Gallons of gas......

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Nice lookin' rig. You can put a good bottom paint on the deck and throw on some sand as you paint to get an affordable, non-slip surface. As for those pedestals, looks a little high...but to each his own. On my old 15-foot v-hull tinny I got a couple of those clamp-on seat bases and then put a good seat on top. That way I could sit on a cushion on the bench to run the outboard, as did my passengers/fishinbuddies, then when we got to the fishin/shootin hole we slid the seat in place where we wanted them and clamped them down tight. The big sports stores sell camo pattern stencils for not much $$. If it gets kinda wet/damp from spray while running the motor on the back bench, rig up a seat just behind the middle bench and make a tiller handle extension...works pretty good and you stay dry on those chilly fishin days. Manufacturers, including OMC, recommended 50:1 after about 62/64 because the bearings were made better...before that it was 24:1 and sometimes even 16:1, some of the older motors had bushings instead of bearings and needed more oil for lubrication. That should be a sweet rig when finished. Post some more pix as you go along.

praisnm

Seaman

ok, that is a lot of oil/gas mix numbers! i don't know the 1st thing about boats...so how do i know if it has barrings or whatever? also...i like the idea about the seat further up...with an extension...
here is a pic...the wheels being on a hinge...and to use them...fold to the side and under...maybe have a rod to go between them under so that they will not move...then pull the rod out...acting as a brace..looking like an axle...then flip the wheels above...and they will sit on the back bench...on top...adding NO drag to the boat..not touching any water! making this boat easy to drag to water...without spendind a buch of money to get a trailor i don't need.
idealboat.jpg

i like that paint/sand trick...i bet i could use kitty litter. the downside is that i would have to sand the boat to get the new paint to stick...NOT FUN! there has to be like some sticky sandpaper stuff like you would see on top of a skateboard...but that'd probably be really expensive.
i read somewhere that this guy with the same motor...2 people, and a bunch of hunting stuff registered almost 20mph on his gps with the 7.5hp motor!
can you lay a motor on it's side when not on the boat...like close the gas line off and run it out of gas...then pull the line out...and motor off the boat...and lay on its side?

freddyray21

Commander

24:1 on anything pre 1964. One quart of oil to 6 gallons of as. The old ones like than ran a quart of straight 30wt to six gallons. I would use outboard motor oil good quality.

rernst

Seaman

First, get it registered BEFORE you spend ANY more $ or time on the thing.

Unless you know the motor has been run successfully on 50:1 and lately, I'd definitely start with 24:1 (1 pint in 6 gal of gas). It won't hurt the engine at all to run it oil rich and it's possible to damage it over time at least if too lean on oil.

I did run my 59(?) 10hp johnson on 50:1 without problems for several years before I sold it, using good outboard oil (I don't think TC-3 existed back around 1069).

So get it running well on 24:1, if you buy good oil from discount stores, it's not that expensive, then try leaner mixture after you know the engine is running well and in good shape.

freddyray21

Commander

I pint in 6 gallons is 50:1 you need a quart with 6 gallons for 24:1. I would not run it on 50:1 even if it has been done before.

rernst

Seaman

Oops, thanks for the correction. Right, 1qt in 6 gal is 24:1, not one pint as I posted.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Can't remember where, but I've seen removable/clamp-on wheels for one end of a small boat...less than $35 for the pair, looked like large lawnmower wheels rigged to a C-clamp.

praisnm

Seaman

well, i have the guys tags from illinois. there is a wore off writing on the side of the boat that says "Montgomery Ward Sea King" then on the registration it has like manufacturer "unknown" the year as 1979. the model number when looked up online came up as seacraft or whatever...so i'm not sure what it is...as for the motor...what do you have to do to rigester that? just the make..model...and serial num?

IF YOU FIND THAT CLAMP ON WHEEL SET UP LET ME KNOW!

i took it out this weekend...not nearly as steady as i thought it might be on the water...it rocks side to side a LOT. so i will have to stay seated! it will be pretty quick with that motor i think. i might get one of those shark tail things that go on the motor to keep the boat flatter when at full throttle...i've seen a lot of boats lifted a lot on the front. anyway...boat is sound. i got some oars...and oar lock...just found out that oars are supposed to be loose in oar locks...YES I DON'T KNOW MUCH ABOUT BOATS! anyway...the oarlocks are denting in the wood on the oars...and i was told they use leather on oars???? never sean that...anyway...i am working on a seat...i have one now..and i put it on the front seat area...with one of those metal jon boat clamps...so i can move it from front to back...so if i need to row..move to the front...motor...move to the back...but i would like to do something in the middle...not sure how to secure the seat in the middle...i could but a board from back bench to front...then build a seat box in the middle...and put a seat there so that i can secure it to the board...then that board to the front and back bench...idunno..well see how it goes. PS...I HAVE CUP HOLDERS ON MY SEAT!!! haha

rernst

Seaman

Generally the motor doesn't need/have any registration at all.

But I'll repeat, since you're not sure about the boat, get it registered before you put any more time/work, and especially money into it!

Please re-read the paragraph above... :)

Wings for motors are only/mainly to get ON a plane faster, doesn't ride any better and will tend to make top speed slower due to more drag.

try a google search with the next line as a search criteria:

"clamp on" boat wheels

Yes, use the quotes as shown.