Hydrofoils good or bad?

sandiegosteve

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Hydrofoils good or bad?

I've got one on my 18' aluminum bayrunner. It is great. I recently repowered and had the chance to test the new rig both with and without.

For my lite right with a relatively small (40hp) motor, the hydrofoil is great. I think tabs would have been nice, but I don't want any additional electronics in the water with an aluminum hull. Plus, I am getting benefits very cheap.

When I researched them, the one type of boat that really sung their praise was the aluminum boats. I will echo that. Performance oriented boats don't seem to like them so much. You may want to think more based on your type of boat.

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

Sandiegosteve;

Good deal, you got what you wanted. You just don't know how much better it could be with Smart Tabs SX. There is a huge difference for the extra $60.00 to $70.00. (SX retail at $129.)

sandiegosteve

Seaman Apprentice

Sandiegosteve;

Good deal, you got what you wanted. You just don't know how much better it could be with Smart Tabs SX. There is a huge difference for the extra $60.00 to $70.00. (SX retail at $129.)

I hadn't heard of the smart tabs, but I may look into them. I am a little concerned about their setup as I fish in the kelp a lot. It is easy to clear it off the foil by tilting the engine up... I don't know about the tabs.

So, I don't know if I should say thanks or not. Now I have something else to think about...

ship5182

Cadet

After reading several post on this subject I took off the hdrofoil on my 1989 19.5' fish n ski with a 150 Force. I bought it already installed on the motor. I took it it out for a day of fishing. I did notice a better top speed but it did not handle as well at slower speeds with the bow way up in the air and it was harder to keep it on plane. I put the hydrofoil back on and I am happy with the old boats performance. I will look into trim tabs when I replace this boat with a newer one but I can't see spending the extra $$ on this one.