Startron fuel treatment based enzymes.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral
OK, we got something good here, or just more snake oil?
Seems price wise comparable to Stabil.
8oz treats 125 gallons. 1 oz to 16 Gal. (eyedropper to a 5 gal tank) Stabil is 1oz to 2 1/2 gal
8oz bottle $13 at West
Like your thoughts..

Star Tron Story

Star Tron? is an amazing fuel treatment based on naturally occurring enzymes. Although this is a very unique application of enzyme technology, we encounter various enzymes in our everyday lives. For example, enzymes in laundry detergents break down dirt and stains so that they may be easily washed away, even in cold water. Enzymes in the human digestive system break down food into components that are easily used by the body to produce energy. Functioning as biocatalysts, enzymes increase and control the rate of chemical reactions. Star Tron? uses highly specialized enzymes to modify how gasoline and diesel fuel burns, the end result being more complete and uniform combustion. This same enzyme package, cleans the fuel delivery system and combustion chambers, stabilizes fuel chemistry and reduces engine emissions.

Increasing Power & Improving Fuel Economy, Reducing Emissions
Engines are not very efficient at burning all of the fuel that is fed into the cylinders. The result of this incomplete combustion is reduced power, production of harmful emissions and carbon formation. By changing the bonding structure of the hydrocarbon molecules that make up fuel, enzymes in Star Tron? allow more oxygen to attach to the fuel at the time of ignition, resulting in a more complete burn of the fuel charge. Star Tron? treated fuel therefore produces greater power, dramatically increases fuel economy and shows up to a 90% reduction in commonly encountered emissions. Carbon monoxide is reduced up to 40%. Diesel soot is now classified as a carcinogen and a toxic air contaminant. Enzyme modified diesel fuel can reduce soot by over one half in just a day and continued use can reduce soot by up to 80%.

Cleaning Injectors, The Fuel Delivery System & Combustion Chambers While Removing Carbon Build-Up
When more of the fuel charge is burned there is a dramatic drop in the formation of performance robbing carbon deposits. After several hours of operating with Star Tron? enhanced fuel, the engine’s concussive forces will blow all existing carbon off the pistons, completely cleaning the combustion chamber without the use of solvent-based carbon removing additives. As the enzymes in Star Tron? are naturally powerful surface-active agents, deposits are removed from the fuel tank, fuel lines, injectors, valves, pistons and spark plugs. Star Tron? accomplishes these cleaning tasks quickly and at the lowest per gallon cost of any product on the market. Once existing carbon deposits are removed and future deposit formation is prevented, knocking and pinging (pre-detonation) are eliminated. Engines develop full power while running smoother and quieter. An added benefit of a deposit free combustion chamber is that fuel burns at a properly controlled rate, helping to greatly boost fuel economy.

Microbial Growth In Fuel
When gasoline or diesel fuel sits in a tank with excessive air space, the daily temperature changes produce condensation (water formation) on tank walls. This water falls into the fuel where it sinks to the bottom providing a breeding ground for microbial spores that feed on hydrocarbon fuels. Known as "diesel algae" these are primarily fungi, yeast and mold contaminants. If left untreated, diesel algae will ruin the fuel causing clogs in filters, fuel lines and injectors. Common treatment for this problem up until now has been the use of a biocide to kill existing growth and prevent a future infestation. The use of a biocide can however cause other problems. Once the growth is killed, the resulting biomass settles to the tank bottom where it decays forming organic acids. The acids then deteriorate the fuel and cause corrosion of the tank walls, injectors and fuel delivery system. Additionally, biocides can be harmful to all those who handle them or come in contact with treated fuel, plus they can cause environmental damage if spilled. Star Tron? uses its enzyme technology to disperse microbial growth throughout the fuel. These microbial particles are then either safely burned away or filtered out.

Treating Water In Fuel
As mentioned before, water can wind up in your gas or diesel fuel as a result of condensation in the tank. Because water is heavier than fuel, it sinks to the bottom of the tank and forms a distinct water layer. The fuel pick-up tube is located at the bottom of the tank so, once this happens, water is supplied to your fuel pump. Obviously the engine can not burn water; soon it starts to sputter and eventually stops running. Additionally, water is corrosive so it deteriorates tank walls and metals in the fuel delivery system. The enzymes in Star Tron? prevent the water molecules that are in fuel from combining and forming a distinct water layer. Water is reduced to sub-micron size particles that cannot cause corrosion and are safely burned during normal combustion.

Ethanol-Enhanced Gasoline
The emissions-reducing additive MTBE that has been put into gasoline for years was found to contaminate water supplies. As a result, MTBE is being eliminated throughout the U.S. and replaced by up to 10% ethanol. When used up quickly, ethanol-enhanced gas does not present difficulties for users. In boats and RVs that tend to use up fuel less frequently however, the new ethanol gas does in fact create problems. Ethanol has a great affinity for water and as a result, this new formulated fuel can cause a water layer to form and gelling to occur. Additionally, ethanol is an excellent solvent that can attack sludge buildup in fuel tanks and cause fuel filters to clog frequently. Star brite Star Tron? can prevent these problems from occurring and can also reverse the problems if they already exist.

Stabilizing Fuel Chemistry
Diesel fuel and gasoline are not formulated to be stored for more than 90 days. After this period of time, they begin to oxidize, forming sludge, varnish, gum and other harmful deposits. The ability of the fuel to burn properly is diminished as chemical components start to break down. Star Tron? uses its enzyme technology to maintain fuel quality and prevent the deterioration of fuel components. Diesel fuel treated with Star Tron? has a shelf life in excess of two years. Gasoline, which tends to evaporate volatile components more quickly than diesel, remains stable for one year. Once hydrocarbon fuels deteriorate, the process of cleaning and rejuvenating them is extremely expensive. Enzymes contained in Star Tron? can in fact "repair" old fuel, restoring cetane and octane ratings, dispersing water and breaking down sludge and other deposits. Star Tron?’s enzyme formula may well be the most cost effective fuel remediation technology in the world.
8 fl. oz. 12 bottles (8 fl. oz. treats up to 125 gallons)
16 fl. oz. 12 bottles (16 fl. oz. treats up to 250 gallons)
32 fl. oz. 12 bottles (32 fl. oz. treats up to 500 gallons)

Reduces all emissions
Prevents fuel oxidation and stabilizes fuel chemistry for at least one year
Lowers fuel system maintenance
Eliminates carbon build-up in fuel delivery system and on exhaust components
Increases fuel economy
Eliminates and prevents ethanol fuel problems
1 fl. oz. treats 16 gallons of gas

stevens

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Startron fuel treatment based enzymes.

Coincidentally, this thread came up at another forum today: "http://www.thehulltruth.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=186795"

There is also another older thread: "http://www.thehulltruth.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=171440"

I have yet to see any independent & substantial verification that Startron works (or any other additive for that sake).

Yet, the allure of fuel additives is so great that many of us still use it, wanting to pamper our engines or something. I've used Startron myself - couldn't tell any difference whatsoever, but still felt better for having put it in.

What's that old saying? ... "Fools and their money are soon parted"?

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

I will only address the statement that it increases oxygen bonding to the fuel thus increasing fuel efficiency--or something like that.

Since the LIMITING factor in any engine is the air supply and hence the oxygen supply, and since engines lose less power by running slightly rich rather than slightly lean: most engines not computer controlled are set to run very slightly rich in order to utilize all the oxygen available. Thus: NO additive is going to increase bonding of oxygen to fuel because there is simply none extra there to bond.

Logic now tells us that one false or misleading statement puts the rest of the supposed facts into question. If you want to spend your money on it, that's your choice.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

I've never been a fan of anything "Startron" myself. Actually never been a fan of much of any of the snake oil..think "Lucas"..it works"...(yeah, for him to take yer dough), "Splitfire" plugs, etc.
Been using Stabil for over 35 years, never a problem..(still own 4 boats, and 7 motorcycles..hard to keep up at times)
From what the smart people here have brought up on Stabil, it seems to leave a light film over the gas, preventing the "volatiles" , from ..well.."volatuting". Makes sense to me.
At the moment I have 2 shot glasses that I filled half full last fall, lightly covered. Last week they were 90% gone. One gas only, one Stabil. Uncovered now. Waiting for a full dry out..see whats left. Gas one still smells like gas, maybe a touch funky, need to compare to fresh. Other smells like Stabil. I'll post results when I see what they turn into.
I'll go check out the "hull" now...see whats said...

RobG

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you have any Academy sports and outdoors stores around, they are clearancing the Startron fuel additive for 88 cents. I picked up 24 bottles and use it regularly. Better than paying 8-10 dollars a bottle regular price. Spoke with one of the techs at Startron and he said being sealed up they won't go bad.

Rob

Campylobacter

Chief Petty Officer

Full disclosure: I am pretty much a newby boater, but in real life I am a university professor that teaches enzymology and microbiology, two topics raised in the claims.

First: If this additive is really an enzyme it WILL NOT WORK in gasoline. Enzymes are made of protein, and have have a particular 3 dimensional shape to work. Proteins only keep their shape in an aqueous environment. Gasoline is a non-polar solvent that will denature any enzyme and render it completely inactive.

Second: Enzymes by themselves do NOT have anti-microbial properties, and as stated above, would not be active in gasoline anyway. This claim is bogus as well.

I'm not saying its useless as a additive, but it does not work because of any enzyme activity.

BillP

Captain

A month or two back I posted on this. Bascially I took some old OB gas tank sludge samples and soaked them in straight startron. It did nothing...not even after weeks. I did other sluge samples and poured straight seafoam over them. Within an hour the samples started to dilute themselves. The next day they melted into the seafoam when stirred.

Somebody replied that the reason the startron didn't work was because it wasn't moving around like it would in a boat. I don't buy that reasoning and now consider startron off my use it list. The only thing "enzymes" did for me was pull green stuff out of my wallet. In my opinion its just another snake oil.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Hmmm.."clearancing the Startron fuel additive for 88 cents"

And I bet still making a profit.
Saw some at Walmart the other day grabbing some Pennzoil TCW.
8oz bottle 8-9 bucks. Treats 125 gallons.
Somehow reminded me of blue toilet water, which don't do much either!
I'll stick with Seafoam, or Stabil

PhatboyC

Petty Officer 1st Class

Full disclosure: I am pretty much a newby boater, but in real life I am a university professor that teaches enzymology and microbiology, two topics raised in the claims.

First: If this additive is really an enzyme it WILL NOT WORK in gasoline. Enzymes are made of protein, and have have a particular 3 dimensional shape to work. Proteins only keep their shape in an aqueous environment. Gasoline is a non-polar solvent that will denature any enzyme and render it completely inactive.

Second: Enzymes by themselves do NOT have anti-microbial properties, and as stated above, would not be active in gasoline anyway. This claim is bogus as well.

I'm not saying its useless as a additive, but it does not work because of any enzyme activity.

Thanks for your professional input. Sure seals the deal for me.

big Kahuna

Cadet

Star Tron CLAIMS the enzymes work on the water in the gas. Most of the anti-microbial claims stem from the fact that bacteria grows due to the WATER in the gas that the enzymes are supposed to work on.

Amazingly they claim that old gas can be brought back to life. This claim is the unbeivable one. The popular explanation is the evaporation of certain volitle chemicals sour the gas. Sta-bil, to their credit, say that when gas goes bad it's too late to add.

Last edited:

fishmen111

Chief Petty Officer

Sounds like the ad for PRG or what ever it is called...worthless IMO. I swear by SeaFoam and the marine version of Sta-bil. I run SeaFoam for it's cleaning ability and Staq-bil for it's moisture encapsulating properties in every tank (lawn euipment also). $0.02