Results from using Marine Penetrol!!!

4link1955

Seaman Apprentice
I used this stuff for the first time last night on my 1985 Sunbird and it worked like a charm. I have never seen anything bring out the fadedness and dullness than this stuff did. It really looks like a brand new boat now. I am very pleased with this stuff. However I do have some questions though. How often will I have to apply this stuff on my boat? Does it stay on in salt water good? Do I need to put a coat of wax on it now to help seal it?<br /><br />Thanks again to whoever recomeneded this stuff!!<br />Later:<br />Jason McLawhorn

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: Results from using Marine Penetrol!!!

Jason, How much did you use on your boat. I want to get some for my old runabout, but not sure how much to order.

MrBill

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Jason...Happy to hear that you liked it. You'll probably need to put on at the beginning of the season and again mid-season. I have never waxed afterward, but I might try...good idea! <br /><br />Rickdb...On my 19 footer one quart is enough for two complete applications. But I don't do below waterline because it's white and in great shape. If you're doing the entire hull, gunwhale and top surfaces, a quart is probably enough for one application...about $12 per quart.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

It also works great as a rust preventative. I used it for years on trailers dunked in salt water.

4link1955

Seaman Apprentice

Hey Rick,<br />Sorry for the delay in responding to you. I bought a quart and I might have used 1" out of the can. It didn't take much at all. My boat is 18' and all I did was just the red on the sides. I left the white alone since it still looked good. I guess it all depends on how faded the boat is on how much it will take. <br />Later:<br />Jason

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Thanks Bill & Jason. My old boat('67 Wellcraft) is in pretty good shape color wise. Never could get that old color to come completely through though. When I bought it, it was completely white(Supposed to be avacado looking). So I went to work buffing on it and finally got it decent looking. Just hoping it could be better. Will get a quart and try it out. Have either of you had the problem like this guy did in his report #2??<br /><br /> web page

DJP

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Penetrol is great stuff, that's for sure, I did a whole 27' Bayliner a few years ago, that was all chaffed and lack-luster, Owner was happy although he was warned that it wouldn't last forever, but indeed it looked great. The thing i liked most about it was the fact that brush strokes just blended evenly, you could not tell it was done with a teak stain brush.

boaterntexas

Petty Officer 1st Class

sounds like the stuff I need for my old bass boat with is weathered badly, oxidation, chipping fadding you nam it it has it, where do you get this stuff from?

crab bait

Captain

where can ya get it..?? is it exclusively a AUSSY product..??

sea wolf

Lieutenant Junior Grade

think i'll try it. do u wax or polish the hull afterwards?

magster65

Commander

Is this stuff like armor all or similar? Once you start do you have to continue using it to avoid 'blotchiness'?

DJP

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Polishing not required, however it is pretty thin stuff, so watch for runs. And yes once you start you better finish the area which you are working on. Do it in stages, that way you can control the runs much easier. Just continually blend the runs as it dries, careful though bugs love to get in it too. Good Luck

MrBill

The Flood company, makers of Penetrol, produce two varieties..."regular purpose" and Marine. The regular variety is primary used as a paint additive to improve adhesion, the marine variety has a higher proportion of some ingredients (distilates, etc.) and is better for the uses that us boaters use it for, like restoring fiberglass luster and polishing metals. Both types are available in some Home Depots, Walmarts, etc (regular always is). Marine Penetrol is available in most marine centers and shops, like BoatUS, West Marine, Boaters World. And I think the fix is on....last year I bought one quart at BoatUS for $8.99, a week later went to buy one for a friend at West Marine and the price was $12.99. Now that West Marine bought BoatUS, guess what the price was at BoatUS this week?.....on to Boaters World...where the price of Penetrol is under 10 bucks and the Marine Tex I bought at BoatUS for $10.99, is only $7.19. I love competition.

sea wolf

Lieutenant Junior Grade

i don't want to alarm anyone, but i'm going to pass on using this stuff. i've have heard that it will last for a season or two then start to peel off. then u have a mess that is a real hassle to deal with. i don't know if it's true or not but i'm not taking a chance with it. i just wanted to let everyone know what may happen, but it's your call.

magster65

Commander

Hmm, anyone here used the stuff years ago and still have the boat?

MrBill

No need to worry about peeling...it does not form a film like paint, its coating is more like a thin oil coating...it will only last a season, just like a good paste wax with a lot less work. My retired neighbor and lobsterman used it as long as he can remember on his boats, fittings and hardware with great results. He's the one who told me about it when he saw my faded fiberglass boat. It won't peel because of its chemical make up, high in petroleum distilates. I'm going on season six using it, four years on my last boat, two on this one.

Raghauler

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Me too... I've used this stuff for years. It needs to be re-applied every 6-12 months - the only drawback - but it does not peel.<br /><br />I started using it before they came out with "marine" penetrol. I bought a gallon of the regular years ago for $20 and I still have more than three quarts left. Used on hull above water line to gunwhale (but not deck) on a 29 year old 22' FG sloop since 1994. The before and after photos look touched up. No buffing, no wax. I love the stuff... highly recommended.

magster65

Commander

OK, I'm gonna' try it... if it ever stops raining! I'll post my results and I have a digi-cam so I'll post some pictures too if anyone's interested.(?)

MrBill

Magster, saw the pic of "Cormorant"...don't expect wonders on white fiberglas, Penetrol works best restoring faded dark colors. But you'll get a nice luster back anyway.