headlights/spotlight

skagitholmes

Recruit
this may be obvious to some but not to me. Why don't boats come with headlights for night time navigation? Would it be wrong of me to mount a spotlight on the the front bow and use it for navigation? We have radar but in my area you still need a spotter for all the logs and other items floating in the bay. It just seems that it works on land so why not on water.

Thanks

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander
Re: headlights/spotlight

Most spot lights I have seen are mounted at the helm/driver's console. There are so many hand held spot lights on the market now a days I'm considering just going with the hand held and not mounting one on my boat, I can't seem to make up my mind. If you could find one where you can mount the bracket and remove the light that would be the way to go.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Some of your older boats had "dock" lights that were mounted in the bow of the boat.
They were intended to help while docking/loading.
They were in no way intended to be driving lights though.
Blinding oncoming traffic is not good.
Reflection off the water from a high powered spot light is just as bad.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

It's normally much easier to see at night with no lights on, as soon as you turn them on you have no idea where anything (Shore, docks, other boat's, logs, etc) is until it comes directly into the light, plus you blind everybody else on the water. It's even worse if you have a light mounted anywhere but at the very bow, if it's back by you, the second you turn it on all you'll see is the bow of the boat, and no water.

It can be handy to have a spotlight, but not for running at night.

f_inscreenname

Commander

Mine has docking lights but they are not head lights (even though you can use them a low speed). Head lights can not be used due to they would block out the navigation lights. Also a white light means the boat is parked or you are looking at the stern.;)
lightsln4.jpg