Wellcraft V-20, Steplift, or 180 capsizing problem?

wespants

Seaman
I posted this in the Wellcraft forum too, but I thought I would post here for more responses and unbiased opinions.

I love the looks of the V-20 CC and Steplift, and I am considering purchasing a similar Wellcraft, the 180 Fisherman. However, I have heard that there were some issues with these boats (the V-20s) capsizing in moderate seas due to swells picking up the flared bow and flipping them over. These boats have the beautiful lines of the sportfisherman boats, but in a much smaller scale. From what I have heard, this design actaully became counter-effective at the smaller scale making them dangerous. However, I can't find hard evidence to back up the hearsay. So, my questions are as follows:

Is this true about the V-20s?

If so, does it apply to the 180 Fisherman as well (the older models ~ say 1980s)?

I really like these boats and I am not picking on Wellcraft at all; just trying to ensure the safety of me and my family. Any help is appreciated!

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Wellcraft V-20, Steplift, or 180 capsizing problem?

i have no knowledge of any boat that has an inherit capsize problem, other than a canoe, or jon boat with a 300lb man.

in experienced captains, not being aware of conditions, is 99% of all boating accidents. you have to know your boat and what it will and will not take.

any boat in the right conditions and improperly piloted can capsize.

sounds more of a wives tale.

if you like the boat, it will serve your needs buy it. and learn what it will do.

crb478

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I have a friend with a 89 or 90 180 fisherman and it does fine and is relatively stable. It is not a boat that you would want to take out in rough seas, but I would not want to take any 18 footer out in rough seas. It handles normal chop just fine and is a pretty dry ride. Hope this helps.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

If a big bow flare is dangerous then boats with "Carolina Flares" would be dangerous as well. Names synonymous with rough water performance like Grady White, Parker, Southport, Regulator and Albemarle all make extensive use of large bow flares on their boats.

The V20 is a solid well built boat although it will pound a bit in a heavy chop.

Bondo

Staff member

However, I can't find hard evidence to back up the hearsay.

Ayuh,............

There might be a Reason for That........................:rolleyes:
It sounds like a Crock of Doo to me........

Willyclay

Captain

Never heard this rumor before. A quick search on the USCG website turned up only ONE incident involving a Wellcraft and that was a collision. I've known Wellcraft owners for over 30 years and believe the boats are very well designed and built. Would love to own one myself. Good luck!

wespants

Seaman

Thanks for all the replies. It seems so far that the 180 would be a safe bet for me, and may even the V-20 if I could afford to buy/feed/tow it. I knew that generally flare is ones friend, but was intrigued with the thought that it could become countereffictive based on its height above the waterline vs wave height.

The shape of the hull, along with the layout of the interior of the 180 (specifically the raised area up front) is why I am interested in this boat. I also like the Mako 17, but the wife prefers the Wellcraft design because the installation of a large cushion could make a good seating area up front for her and our children.

As dingbat mentioned, the Wellcraft has a bit of Carolina Flare, and that's what I like about it. I lived in coastal Carolina for years and I love that styling. If I weren't so far from the coast now, I'd be looking at the Gradys or Albermarles. Unfortunately, I need something cheap to tow for 5hrs.

As a side note, does anyone know any negatives to the 180s that had the factory full transom/bracket setup? I think I will try to find one of these, because the full transom seems to offer a few advantages: less chance of swamping the boat (but possibly increased chance of swamping the motor), more space in the stern, and maybe less chance of the transom needing replacement. The only disadvantages I can think of is it may be more difficult to work a fish around the stern, and it makes the whole rig a little longer. Also, I worry a little about balance ~ since the motor is farther aft, does it act as a lever causing the bow to ride to high?

Maybe I'm thinking too deep into this. Does anyone have any insight/advice/experiece they are willing to share?

Thanks for all the replies thus far!

D

DJ

A full transom with a bracket is a great set up. About the only disadvantage is that the boat is longer and can make storage a challenge.

Black Snow Slide

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a Sportsman 180 from Wellcraft. Its a 2007. I have found just the opposite of your rummers you have heard. When drift fishing and a wave comes up to the flair, The boyancy of that flair realy lifts the front up. From the top of the flair to where the deck starts is about 8". I takes a very large wave to go over the top, about 4' when drift fishing, and you need to be about 250lbs standing on the very front. And still I dont think it would go in/over / or anything.

My 180 is very good when seas are 2-3 foot. Wellcraft desighns there boats to be used in salt water. Salt water equals larger bodies of water and that mean bigger waves and larger boats with larger wakes. I have been out with many friends with diffrent manufacturers in the 18' range. Many times they are ready to go back to more sheltered waters when my boat is wanting play in the waves.

Find one for sale and take it for a sea trial. When you get back you will be writing a check with confidence that you are makeing a good decision.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Don't know about the Wellcraft bracket but most I'm familiar with provide additional buoyancy to counter the motor weight.

Not sure about the 180 but a lot of boats with brackets are a little quirky when backing up. You have to trim the motor up a bit to give you some maneuverability. Otherwise the thrust just pushes against the back of the transom. A minor inconvenience but can be a pain if you have to back down in the hurry for some reason.

wespants

Seaman

Thanks for all of the good information. I think my mind is made up, now I just need to find one. I hadn't thought about the thrust issue when backing up; sounds like I'll have to get used to that. I'm glad to hear that this boat performs as good as it looks. Thanks again so much for the help!

Kajun37

Petty Officer 1st Class

where are you getting your information??? i have NEVER heard these things about the V-20 or the 18 fisherman/sport......i own an 18 sport...and i can promise you that it is hands down one of the BEST 18ft boats you can possibly own....check out wellcraftv20.com and you will see that these boats have a CULT following....and the reason for it is because they are GREAT boats......boats do not capsize because of bow flare...period...

my 1991 18 sport has been out in 4ft waves...trolling!!! it eats up 2ft chop for breakfast......it weights in at 2200lb dry..its a lil tank!... same weight as the older V-20s...which makes for a great ride.........i've ridden in 20-23ft boats that dont ride as good as mine..... all i can say is they are great boats with a great ride for their size and your information you heard is not true in the least...wellcraftv20.com has a for sale and trade forum which the members track and post v-20 and v-18's for sale...it is your best resource for them.

The Fish Slaya!!!!!!

dscf0004hs7.jpg

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

Nice lookin boat! Why did you post that ... now I want one! :D

northendbob

Cadet

My 180 rides through the waves like a dream. This is my first post but I had to chime in on the Wellcraft issue. Whats a good size powerplant for the 180?

crb478

Lieutenant Junior Grade

My 180 rides through the waves like a dream. This is my first post but I had to chime in on the Wellcraft issue. Whats a good size powerplant for the 180?

A 115 seems to work real well even with several people on board. A 90 will do if it is just one or two, but the extra power is always nice to have.

wespants

Seaman

Thanks all for the information.

Kajun, thanks for the info and picture; nice boat you have. Do you know what the difference is between the newer (say '90s) and older (say 70s-80s) models is that caused the weight difference? I noticed this in the old ads on V20.com, but couldn't figure out the difference. Of course, mid 90s there was the huge change in design, and I can understand that difference. But the early 90s models look just like the older ones. I wonder if it is just in calculation method (with engine or fuel or something).

Anyway, any information on this would be helpful in narrowing down the year model(s) I would like to purchase. Also, it seems the factory closed transom / bracket setup was only available from about '85-'89. Does anyone know anything about this.

I would like the newest closed transom model I can get ( I think ).

Also, anyone know how these compare to the Seacraft of the same vintage? I'm also looking at these.

Thanks.

mhaxter

Recruit

I've been running a 1985 V-20 Steplift w/Mercruiser 170 Sterndrive in the Chesapeake since 1995 without any such problem. It either plows into the wave and rides over or slices thru really large stuff leaving work for the bilge pumps, but, I've never experienced a problem with the heavy flaring on the bow. It makes for an exceptionally dry ride under most conditions and has saved my bacon on several occasions when the Chesapeake has gotten really ugly.

I passed on buying a new boat this spring and searched high and wide for a factory remanufactured replacement for the Mercruiser 170 I had with nearly 1,000 hours. Spent $8,000 on the repower job and I'm happy to have it!

jtvdude

Recruit

I have had my 1986 v20 steplift for over 10 years. Bought it used from a fishing buddy when he upgraded to a 26 ft robalo. This boat is extremely stable and have never had any issue close to a capsize. I live in Ocean City Maryland. I have had this boat in some conditions that were way beyond what it was designed for. It has performed everytime. I seen it handle some rough seas. My biggest issue was in a following sea with sliding down waves. Flooding the back engine area with water. Rare but does happens.

The flare on these boats are positive not a negative. May not always be the smoothest ride but when it gets nasty you can count on this boat and it design.