Boat Flags

Lakester

Chief Petty Officer
hello,

i have always liked a flag on a boat. so since i got me a boat, i got around to getting me a flag. about 12" x 18". a wooden flag pole and a ss mount. the flag is a usa flag. :)

so, am wondering if there is any tradition to flying a small flag on a boat?

bow, port stern, middle stern or starboard stern?

regards,

lakester :cool:

jevery

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Boat Flags

You can't beat the look of a flag on the bow of a classic runabout though with a bowrider I opted for a stern mount. I soon discovered that at 55 MPH a flag can be loud enough to prevent conversation. Mine usually remains in the locker now.

a70eliminator

Captain

My light mast at the stern actually has provisions for a flag. I always thought it was to attach your distress flag if the need arises, isn't there something about flying a flag while towing a skier? I've seen them for sale around the tubes and towables. Personally I like the look of and old wooden boat flying the Stars ans Stripes.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

some states require a ski flag, all states require a dive flag.

CaptCT

Recruit

The flag of the home country is usually flown off the transom in home water

You are required to fly three flags in international water

the flag of the country your traveling in flies on top
the flag of your country flies underneath it
the flag of your province or state underneath the flag of your country

fyi

mike176

Petty Officer 1st Class

When we go cruise the river i fly the jolly roger off my sternlight pole.

Lakester

Chief Petty Officer

hello,

thank you all for ur inputs. helpful hints. i think i have simplified my concerns. on the aft starboard side i have a running light mast... and the same port location is available. but i like a bow flag too, so i will do a dry run there, at least, before i finalize things with drilled holes. :eek: lol ~

will post a pix once done. :)

regards,

lakester :cool:

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

I thought United States custom was that NO flag was to ever fly above Old Glory. So for we U.S people wouldn't the order be U.S flag at top then flag of country we are visiting below it?

External Combustion

Chief Petty Officer

A good resource for learning flag etiquette is Chapman's Piloting. To display a host's flag incorrectly or even your country's flag incorrectly sometimes conveys the message to their authorities that you have a bad attitude. Sometimes they will reciprocate their assumptions with all the trouble that they can cause you.

Learning the proper place and time to fly each flag is easy. On a mastless motorboat, the National Ensign (the US Flag for example) is flown at the stern staff. The courtesy flag of the host nation (Canada for example, if I am visiting there) is flown from the bow staff if there is one. If there is only a stern staff then only the National Ensign is flown. Another nations flag is NOT to be flown at a lower point on the same staff! Wars have literally been started over such!

SgtMaj

Lieutenant Commander

Does anyone know if it's ok to fly the flag from the light post as he was thinking of doing? I was planning on doing that myself, but I honestly don't care if it's 100% proper or not, it would be the best place for me and my tiny 6"x8" flag, and I can't think of any reason off the top of my head that it wouldn't be ok, since sailboats fly the flag from the mast and the same mast also has the nav lights.

JCF350

Lieutenant Junior Grade

As long as it doesn't obscure the navigation lights.

erikgreen

Captain

some states require a ski flag, all states require a dive flag.

Also, technically the great lakes are national/international waters - if you happen to dive there, you're supposed to fly an alfa flag instead of the red with white strip dive flag. Most smart divers fly both.

We fly ours on 8+ foot poles located either amidships opposite the radio mast or on a pole off the stern of our inflatables.

I believe the usual place to fly an "ensign" is off a short pole centered on the transom....

JCF350

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Also, technically the great lakes are national/international waters - if you happen to dive there, you're supposed to fly an alfa flag instead of the red with white strip dive flag. Most smart divers fly both.

Technically your supposed to fly the alfa on the boat no matter where you are. The divers flag is "divers down" flag and is supposed to be located where the divers are.

http://www.ymcascuba.org/ymcascub/currnt21.html

About 2/3rds of the way down the page pretty much explains it.