Dingy Davits

Neverhome

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Does anyone have any experience with either swing up or pull on davit systems? I have a 23' Trophy 2359 with a 8'5" beam and 24" height from swim platform to the to of the transom. The width of the dinghy is 62 inches which means it will stick up quite a ways above the transom if I use the swing up models. It is also 11' long but I can offset the dinghy if I travel to other marinas. It is not a problem at the one I keep the boat at. On the other hand, the pull on systems will keep the dinghy flat on the swim platform but cost three times as much.

My questions are which do you think is easier to load the dingy with, and if I use the swing ups, will the force of the wind at 28 MPH stress the dinghy?

Any advice is appreciated.

Neverhome

Martinique

Cadet
Re: Dingy Davits

You can buy a dinghy sling from Harbormenmarine.com and adjust the angle so that the dinghy does not catch wind. Perfect for your application. I used one on my 25' boat and motored at 40 knots with no problems.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

If your question is which one is to use, a Weaver Davit system versus a conventional lifting davit, then the Weaver system is easier and the wind will not have any effect on the dinghy. You will increase wind resistance and possibly lose a tiny bit of speed overall.

Neverhome

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thank you both for the input.

Martinique, how do you secure the sling to the boat and the dinghy. The web page was a little vague. Does the dinghy tend to bounce around with the boat up on plane?

Neverhome

Martinique

Cadet

Neverhome, The Boat never moves. The sling is connected by specially made straps that loop around a cleat or railing stanchion and you can pull on the straps to lift the boat out of the water at any height. The Boat is connected to the sling by a couple of strong straps. Worked out great. The sling comes with full color instruction manual for both inflatables or Kayak use. I also take it on my buddy's boat when we do island hopping for his boat so he does not store on the deck.

Neverhome

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Martinique,

Thanks for the info. I think you just solved my problem.
Jim

Neverhome

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks to all for the input. I ordered the Dingy Sling last night due to its versatility on angle of carry and the fact it does not require putting any holes in the boat. The price was very reasonable compared to other systems I have been looking at and it will allow me to carry my kayak as well as the dinghy.

Neverhome