Storing a Battery for winter..?

OscarNav

Seaman Apprentice
What would you guys recommend to do for us that DO NOT have garages to store them in. I just got done taking both out and fully charging them. Is it safe to store them inside the house, basement (Utility room)..? Any toxic fumes or gases i should be aware of..? Please advise, Thanks.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Storing a Battery for winter..?

Bring them inside but place them away from any open flame such as the furnace, water heater, etc. If the cells can be checked for water, do so and top off any cells with distilled water if the tops of any plates are showing. Charge them once a month or so. They will sleep well.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Do as Silvertip says only if mine needs topping off, I use battery acid to top them off with.
I have 9 to worry about and was told by the battery person that is the best to do as acid won't freeze.

Don S

Top off the battery electrolite level, and make sure it's fully charged when done for the season.
Once the boat is in storage, disconnect the battery, and it should be fine.
I would bet 99% of the boat batteries in the world have to live outside during the off season.

I would guess the battery manufactures would want you to keep them warm, and in front of the TV so they can be happy also.

electricjohn

Petty Officer 1st Class

First off, you should use the specific gravity of a charged battery to determine if acid or DI water should be added. I keep my batteries in the basement during the off season on a metal shelf, charging them maybe twice through out the winter at 1 amp. My batteries have lasted me anywhere from 10 to 13 years. My 1970 boat is only on its 3rd battery since new.

azlakes

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I top off my ATV batteries with acid as SBN states, you can buy this acid at your local Auto Parts store for less than 10 bucks and it goes a long ways. I also suggest placing your batteries on a piece of carpet or old mat. I have had good luck with my deep cells keeping them off my concrete floor. Dont know what it is about that but wont argue the results on these expensive batteries.

Boatist

Rear Admiral

If the batteries are charged they will be fine outside. Batteries do vent gasses and can explode but normally only when charging. Batteries like most chemicals slow down when cold and if charged the cold will not harm them. This means the self discharge is slower in winter. Also why can get by with charging every 2 months in winter and should charge every month in summer.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Harbor Frieght $6 on sale "float chargers'..over 12 batts on now...last new batt over 4 years ago...oldest going on 9 years They toss VERY little amps..but keep the voltage at the 13.20..13.50 sweet spot..don't argue with me ..read any Tech Facts on it..full charge first..make sure water up to snuff..then drop it off in the spring, wait 24 hours, then toss a load tester on it..(or any auto store..(but YOU watch the meter..along with them...)

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Keep the battery charged and you can set it by the back door. Up here in the tundra it gets down to 35 below zero. If it weren't ok to leave the battery outside in sub-zero weather every car owner would need a new battery every morning in the winter. Keep it charged and it will be fine. Charged batteries don't freeze (to a point).

Jack Daniels

Petty Officer 1st Class

First year to handle batter storage and was wonder what you guysthought about a trickle charger. I am planning on disconnecting the battery from the motor and connect the trickle charger to the battery in the boat. From what i read this is a way to keep it charged all winter and not have to worry about removing it from the boat. Any thoughts?

JCF350

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Do as Silvertip says only if mine needs topping off, I use battery acid to top them off with.
I have 9 to worry about and was told by the battery person that is the best to do as acid won't freeze.

You should only add acid in the case of a spill and adding just water in this case will lower the specific gravity. Adding acid just to top it off throws the specific gravity off. Batteries are designed to operate with a specific water to acid ratio. The farther you get from this ratio the less efficient the battery will be, plus you can ruin it by adding to much acid.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

You want a well regulated battery maintainer or float charger as they are sometimes refered as. Schumacher makes an excellent unit for $24.95 at our local farm store. It's a sealed unit and I have it mounted permanently in the boat. It's plugged in at the dock at night and right now the boat is in my garage for the winter and it's plugged in now until spring as it has been for the last four years. I had one in my previous boat as well.

Jack Daniels

Petty Officer 1st Class

You want a well regulated battery maintainer or float charger as they are sometimes refered as. Schumacher makes an excellent unit for $24.95 at our local farm store. It's a sealed unit and I have it mounted permanently in the boat. It's plugged in at the dock at night and right now the boat is in my garage for the winter and it's plugged in now until spring as it has been for the last four years. I had one in my previous boat as well.

Awesome i just hooked it up today, its a 1.5 amp battery maintainer trickle charger. It said it fist slow charges the battery at 1.5 amps and then maintains it over the duration of the winter. I currently have it set at 12 volts is that correct or should i put it on 6 volts. Thanks for the info

SpinnerBait_Nut

You should only add acid in the case of a spill and adding just water in this case will lower the specific gravity. Adding acid just to top it off throws the specific gravity off. Batteries are designed to operate with a specific water to acid ratio. The farther you get from this ratio the less efficient the battery will be, plus you can ruin it by adding to much acid.
Don't know, just going by what the battery guy told me on my golf cart batteries(6)
Says when I check them and they are low to add acid and they will be stronger and last longer.

JCF350

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Don't know, just going by what the battery guy told me on my golf cart batteries(6)
Says when I check them and they are low to add acid and they will be stronger and last longer.

Your battery guy is incorrect.
But don't just take my word for it, do some research online and you'll learn a bunch about batteries.:)

SpinnerBait_Nut

Your battery guy is incorrect.
But don't just take my word for it, do some research online and you'll learn a bunch about batteries.:)
He maybe, like I said don't know.
I do know batteries with water in them can and will freeze.
That I do know.
So how do you know when you get to the point of too much water and not enough acid?

azlakes

Senior Chief Petty Officer

So how do you know when you get to the point of too much water and not enough acid?

For me the battery no longer held a charge or died quickly under a load when I just kept adding water.

JCF350

Lieutenant Junior Grade

You will lose a few molecules worth of acid in normal use (after all you can smell it and it will corrode the surrounding area) but not enough to degrade the battery over its life span. Now if you get one hot enough you'll lose acid but by then the battery is damaged by the temperature, it still may crank an engine or drive a motor but its capacity will be severely diminished.

drewmitch44

Lieutenant Commander

Thing about batteries on the concrete floor is a old wives tale. Like you have to keep your gps unit in a wool sack so as not to harm it. If you leave your gps in a cotton sack the clouds will fall from the sky and you will be dancing with the devil and the fork ran away with the spoon after the cat jumped over the moon cause the itsy bitsy spider bit him.

drewmitch44

Lieutenant Commander

I never thought about buying acid for my batteries. I usually use tap water and boil it, making it distilled. But i know you can buy that stuff at a lot of places. Maybee ill top off with that this year.