Pontoon Boat Corrosion

BOTCHERBILL

Recruit
Need Some Help About Galvanic Corrosion!
Can I Use A Mercathode System On A Aluminum Pontoon Boat To Keep The Pontoons From Corroding? I Keep The Boat At The Jersey Shore In A Slip For The Summer.the Bottom Has Been Painted With Aluminum Bottom Paint & Primer.plus I Put Out Two Extra Zincs One Foward And One Aft But I Still Had A Large Amount Of Corrosion. Help!!

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: Pontoon Boat Corrosion

I'm sure no expert but::Be sure everything is bonded together as one.Pontoons,frame,deck,motor.Be sure there is no stray voltage
from your electrics including shore power.Be sure your zinks are installed properly and in excellent shape.If there is a problem with the marina power or a neighboring boat it could be your problem as well.

Tomcat577

Cadet
My new 2014 Manitou pontoon boat was used 3 times Summer of 2014. There was a lot of algae, white stains, black stains, white lines and black lines on the poontoons. Cleaned with dishwashing liquid and water as advised by dealer service. Surface stuff came off. Pressure washed as advised and more algae came off. I complained they looked like 20 year old pontoons. The dealer acid washed and pressure washed. The pontoons were almost clean and now you can see deeply etched lines back to front at waterline. The boat was rarely used because the battery was dead every time we tried to take a ride. The serviceman checked it out. He said the radio or an electrical short could be causing the battery to discharge. Coincidentally when I complained about the corrosion lines he said it could be stray current corrosion. I told him I want it checked out and fixed. He said no way to know what is causing the problem, in time it (radio, etc) will stop working and we'll know the cause. I think I know what's going on, but would value your comments. Please let me know your experience on this, or your thoughts.

Last edited:

southkogs

Staff member
Welcome aboard Tomcat: Please take a few moments to review our forum rules. Unless you're the original poster, it's against the forum rules to post into a thread over 90 days old.

Additionally, you'll probably get more specific replies to your question if you start a new topic.

Thanks - and again, welcome.

Tomcat577

Cadet
Thanks southkogs for your info. Like you said, I am new to posting in a forum. My mistake...sorry. I just tried to post a new topic but didn't see a button as the help window suggests. If you can give me the path I will be thankful.