Toilet Won't Flush

micscrk

Recruit
I just bought a 1992 Rinker 260 Fiesta Vee that has a pump out toilet with a selector switch (wet/dry). The instructions on the toilet say to place the selector to wet and pump until water fills the bowl and flushes. Then switch the selector to dry to remove any remaining water. I can get water to pump into the toilet but it wont flush....it will just fill completely to the top and overflow if i continue to pump. Also, water does not pump out when I switch the selector to dry. I am not sure if the problem is that I am not doing something correctly or if there is something wrong with the toilet. I know that the toilet has not been used since the last winterization so I am wondering if there is maybe a shut off switch somewhere on the out line to prevent water intering the waste tank? Please Help.

pgdignan

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Toilet Won't Flush

You've got a standard marine head I take it. Inside the pump handle where the selector switch resides there are two flapper valves, they degrade over time, see if the manufacturers name is anywhere on the head and then just get a rebuild kit or new pump, West Marine (or just about anyone else) will likely have them in stock.

micscrk

Recruit

Are these marine toilets like a regular toilet in that when the water pumps in and gets to a certain level it automatically flushes.....or do you have to pump water in with the selector in the wet position and then pump the water out with the selector in the dry position? The instructions listed on the toilet arent very clear, but it sounds like when you place the selector in the wet position and pump, water is supposed to enter the bowl and then automatically flush once the water gets to a certain level.

quint4

Cadet

yes...wet = water into bowl ( for those # 2 occasions ) dry = water out to holding tank....is the holding tank full ?

pgdignan

Petty Officer 2nd Class

There's a couple of reasons for the wet dry thing on the pump. First, if the bowl were dry and you dropped something that had formerly been a burrito in the bowl you might find that all the pumping in the world won't get all the pooh unstuck from the previously dry porcelain. In operation and before anyone gets a chance to drop said pooh on the porcelain, you pump the handle a few times to "wet" the bowl and upon your last pump leave the pump handle up and allow some water to remain in the bowl. SOO then you do your business :redface: and pump the pooh out (overboard or into a holding tank). After you've cleared the waste you flip the lever to dry and pump any remaining water out to ensure that you won't have a bowl full of water as you're trucking along. In a sailboat obviously if you leave water in the bowl and your tacking on the opposite side of the head :eek: you might find water from the bowl sloshing about.

pgdignan

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sorry forgot to mention that NO a marine manual head is almost nothing like a regular tanked toilet. In point of fact if the head is below water line (which it very well likely may be) if you have a bad flapper valve and an open thru hull (raw water intake) you can flood the boat. Rebuilding the head really isn't all that difficult.

rentalguy1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Toilet won't flush = Eat more fiber. Sorry, I couldn't resist. I have no clue as to the correct answer, I simply saw the perfect opportunity to insert a crude comment.:p

Good luck.

seven up

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you know the manufacturer and model # you may find a rebuild kit for it. Try clicking on the marine store at the top left.

Good Luck