pontoon trim tabs

river rat 26

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Any one tried trim tabs on a pontoon? Got a big heavy pontoon(enclosed box with front and back porch) 26'. Would like to be able to trim it flat when cruising, adjusting for fuel load and people moving around etc. I've never seen a toon with tabs, wondering if it could work.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: pontoon trim tabs

Hi River Rat<br /><br />Ever seen these?<br /> Tap Fins <br /><br />Looks like it might be just what the doctor ordered..

river rat 26

Petty Officer 3rd Class

These are cool Rick but way too pricey for me, not sure that they will help me with my listing problem anyway. I've got an old Sea Ray in the yard (26') with bennett trim tabs on it,(they work) I'm thinking of putting them on my pontoon and was wondering if any one had tried this before. I'm not interested in any type of performance gain, just want to flatten her out regardless of where people or load are placed while cruising. It seems in theory they will work but I've been there before. Nothing like the voice of experience don't you know.

FlyBoyMark

Ensign

I would consider trimming the bow of a pontoon boat down VERY carefully...they tend to "torpedo" thru waves and wipe everything off the deck....I speak from second hand experince from a very close friend that had a very ugly experince on a 21' toon :cool:

D

DJ

Agree with Fly Boy.<br /><br />Toons "up" is good. Toons down="disaster".