Stripping bottom Paint

muskie hunter

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just bought a 26' wellcraft se. The boat is white. The bottom paint was done 2 yrs ago and is black. I want to strip it off and either not repaint the bottom or paint it white. I have several questions. What do I strip the bottom paint with without hurting the hull and will it come off to where the bottom is not discolored. Do I really need to repaint it if its going to be trailered and not left in the water.

Thanks Steve

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Stripping bottom Paint

You may strip off the bottom paint with a MARINE stripper and a putty knife. If you are careful, it will not harm the gel coat. Watch for gouging the hull with the knife as well. If you want a good result, take your time, and you can minimize the sanding of the residual paint. You can also get the hull sandblasted with a soft media. Due to the size of the job, you might consider this avenue.

You may want to paint the bottom, for appearance, when you are done. Sometimes the bottoms never come back to a "showroom" appearance. You may use any polyurethane marine paint. If you plan to keep it in the water, use a below waterline paint. Bottom paint comes in Shark White, and some other bright colors. One of them may be suitable for your purposes as well.

_brad_

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have had great results with Aircraft stripper myself.

Best stuff on planet Earth. Like watching a destructive movie.

So good in fact I buy it just to watch it destroy paint surfaces. :D

Nova II 260

Senior Chief Petty Officer

If you're going to use a putty knife, grind or file the corner edge to a radius. Less chance of gouging your gelcoat. The method I used