• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hanging Bumpers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hanging Bumpers

We have a 2006 Four Winns 180 Horizon, but this question is about any other boat. At our cottage we use mooring whips, but also have bumpers set up, mostly for the docking process.

My question is what ropes/products does everyone use to secure their bumpers to their boats? At present we have the looping ropes (basically a figure 8 with a thicker middle) that go on the plastic cleats that work quite well, however they are coming apart and I would like to replace them with something more substantial. Any suggestions?
    2006 Four Winns 180 Horizon
    2008 Mazda Tribute

wesg - macs and more
    Mechanical Engineer / iPhone Developer
    Apps: Equation Library / Here's My Location

Re: Hanging Bumpers

i use either 3/8 or 1/4 inch rope. i take a loop thru the center of the cleat, loop it over the cleat, the figure 8.
    FLORIDA GATORS
    TEBOW Country

Please, NO PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems. they will not be answered.
    That is what these forums are for. Post your questions, in the appropriate Forum.

Comment

I recently purchased some doo-hickies that clamp around the boat rails and have little ridges to grip the rope. If the bumpers are to be left overnight or in rough water, the rope is wrapped around the rail and hang over the initial rope held by the little-ridged grippers. This system is supposed to hold the rope without tying a knot and leaves the cleats for securing the boat to the dock or, in my case, the houseboat.
      Carl
      Carolina Skiff 175 Sea Chaser, 90hp Yamaha 2-stroke
      River City Marine 14' AL flat-bottom, 40hp Force 2-stroke

Comment

Personally, I love the clips, hooks and plastic doo-hickers that folks use to attach bumpers. Most of the ones I find floating in the River have those things tied securely to the end of the line. I've got a nice collection of bumpers in various sizes and styles lining one wall of my boathouse courtesy of those plastic thingies...

I use cleats on my boat, tying the bumper line with a figure-8 knot. Only time I ever lost a bumper was when I neglected the line and it chafed through during a storm...
        Share A Project Page for 1971 GW Invader Banchie 13
        http://www.shareaproject.com/pages/p...,p,433,00.html
        Share A Project Page for 1976 American 18
        http://www.shareaproject.com/pages/p...,p,404,00.html
        Share A Project Page for 1974 American 15
        http://www.shareaproject.com/pages/p...,p,405,00.html

Comment

I thought they were called fenders?

Comment

I attach all "bumpers" with bolts.

I have used the "Fender Tender II" in the past to quickly attach my boat's fenders. They are a plastic do hickey thing. They work very well in an environment where the boat isn't working against the fenders a lot. And they are fast to deploy, but not fast to adjust their height. I used them mostly at my slip. When rafting out with other boats, I used my fenders that had 1/2" line through the fender loophole, and just tied them to a cleat using a hitch. Simple and very effective.

Comment

Originally posted by skargo View Post
              I thought they were called fenders?
              Nah, those are on ya trailer and automobile.......
              1977 Starcraft American 18' 165 Mercruiser.
              http://s226.photobucket.com/home/win...obra/allalbums

Comment

Originally posted by Chinewalker View Post
                Personally, I love the clips, hooks and plastic doo-hickers that folks use to attach bumpers. Most of the ones I find floating in the River have those things tied securely to the end of the line. I've got a nice collection of bumpers in various sizes and styles lining one wall of my boathouse courtesy of those plastic thingies...

I use cleats on my boat, tying the bumper line with a figure-8 knot. Only time I ever lost a bumper was when I neglected the line and it chafed through during a storm...

So you're the guy, I want mine back. I used them (plastic thingies) for a very short time, lost several bumpers and went back to a cleat. Now I collect the ones floating around with the plastic clip still securely attached.

Comment

They are "Fenders" they help fend your boat off other objects.

Get smaller "fender cleats" and install them in the locations you need. That way you won't have to use the plastic clips or the regular cleats.

Always remove or pull the fenders in while underway, leaving them hanging and bouncing around in the bow spray is the sign of an inexperienced operator.

Capt Ron
                  TWO POINTS ABAFT THE BEAM...NOT JUST FOR NIGHT!!!

Comment

Besides calling them bumpers... also, wearing the orange life jackets is another sign of an inexperienced boater.

I'm not even going to try to deal with the plastic thingies.

Good Luck!

Comment

I hung some bumpers on my 67' Pontiac today

Comment

Working...
                      X