1965 COBIA sSEA QUEEN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pam C

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1965 Cobia Sea Queen and have not been able to get much info on its origin, what it looked like new, etc. I am debating about whether to put more money in it or not. There are some stress cracks on hull around where the motor clamps on. The clear coat is dull. The moter looks like it could use some wires. 4 years ago the motor checked out good, now the wiring is showing wear. It has a merc thunderbolt 1000. Any one ever seen one of these? It landed in Arkansas some how.
pc

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1965 COBIA sSEA QUEEN

they were built in Sanford Florida, the Cobia builders are still around, still building quality boats. the were the top of the line in. you are probably due for a transom rebuild, if you are getting stress cracks. the merc 1000 is a great motor, seawaymarine.com had the wiring harness for them 2 years ago. when i had my 1350 merc. i have own 3 Cobias over the years.

Pam C

Seaman Apprentice

thanks for the info.

I hope that I can justify the money spent vs. the availibility of good open water here in Arkansas, As i get into the repairs I will be needing some solid advise. Do you happen to know the best ways to bring back the shine to the fiberglass?

Pam

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Use the search function on the forums here.Look for gelcoat restoration.
You will find a bunch of reading.
Welcome to Iboats too...;)

BillP

Captain

I have a 1965 Cobia Sea Queen and have not been able to get much info on its origin, what it looked like new, etc. I am debating about whether to put more money in it or not. There are some stress cracks on hull around where the motor clamps on. The clear coat is dull. The moter looks like it could use some wires. 4 years ago the motor checked out good, now the wiring is showing wear. It has a merc thunderbolt 1000. Any one ever seen one of these? It landed in Arkansas some how.
pc

Built by Southern Fiberglass of Orlando Florida. Cobia was a model name and later the company name was changed to Cobia. I have a 1965 Cobia SeaQueen...totally rebuilt it a few yrs ago and owned it for 20+ yrs. These are tough boats with thick glass layups and rated for 110hp. There was a clone of these hulls in the name of Space Craft but their cabin windows were slightly different.

What color is yours? Do you have pics? Please, pretty please.

Bill

Attachments

• Launch Day 1- 21-05 013.jpg
    Launch Day 1- 21-05 013.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 2

Pam C

Seaman Apprentice

Good Morning, Bill and Barnacle Bill,

I have viewed this boat for 4 years I think. In the second picture you have on line, it appears to have a bay area in the front where one could sit??? Mine has a hatch to go "down below". She is pea green. I have the top and the quarters entrance canvas. They need new zippers other wise fine. I do not know if the seats are the original style. Need a pic. I want to try to keep it original. My wires in the cab need replaced they are cracked. I looked inside the engine and the internal harnass has bare wires and the fuel line is rotted. This just in last 3-4 years. I am anxious to try it out. Have only ridden in it 3 times. in 4 years. I will take some digital pix and put them up on the page by the week end, ok? It is so wonderful to meet someone finally with a Sea Queen. I call her Queenie. Thanks,Bill. May need your advise on the hull and some wiring.

tashasdaddy

look at the classic style of the hull, they are still using the same basic hull.

Pam C

Seaman Apprentice

Hello,

The hull is beautiful. Any way of determining value of one of these? Or any antique boat?

Pam

BillP

Captain

Hey, pea green is one of the original colors! They have two bunks in the cabin with storage under. Helm and passenger seating was fold downs on each side but finding originals will be hard or impossible. I was able to find a new old stock bow light on ebay for $10 and "almost" original cleats are still made...but they are zinc plated open base cheapies by attwood...originals are the same attwood cheapies but have solid bases. I found 50-60s type "streamline" cleats for the bow on ebay and plan to find two more for the stern.

Mine is registered as an antique in Florida but I don't think they have "collector" value. I looked for a SeaQueen about a yr before finding one and bought it on the spot for $500 with motor and trailer...a usable project at the time with good running 75hp Johnson and decent trailer. That was around 1985 though and it's one of my "never will sell" boats.

Wiring is sparse...one lead up to the bow light and one to the stern light...both to a three pole pull switch on the dash. One spotlight. The rest is in the motor wiring harness.

Here's a tattering of pics...the newest are launch day of the latest paint job.

Attachments

• barnacle 073.jpg
    barnacle 073.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 3
  • barnacle 077.jpg
    barnacle 077.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 3
  • Launch Day 1- 21-05 022.jpg
    Launch Day 1- 21-05 022.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 2
  • barnacle at Robs 006.jpg
    barnacle at Robs 006.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 2
  • barnacle 082.jpg
    barnacle 082.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 3

Pam C

Seaman Apprentice

I will get my pix online this weekend. My cabin has custom cushons and somebody has put green carpet in it. My cleats are in good shape. I am sending the canvas to a shop tomorrow. I will try to find somebody around Little Rock to resote the clear coat, etc. I worked 40 hours on it last year and it never did shine up. Have not found a wiring harness instock yet. I may need to just putter with this the rest of the year as winter will soon be upon us. Would be biting at the bit to put her in the water if I got done in the dead of winter. I also had to seats in the back.. I had the trail fabricated. Made it into a duak wheeled and reinforced the I -beam. I have $3400 in it already. Wooo.

Pam

tnduc

Petty Officer 1st Class

Bill P- that is one nice looking boat.

Pam C

Seaman Apprentice

Bill, here are the pixs if I can get them to go thru, Discovered transom and flooring damage this weekend. It was a shocker to me. Will need to weigh this one out. It is a beautiful boat.

can not get it thru. How do you do it?

Pam C

Seaman Apprentice

does anyone need parts for a 1965 cobia sea queen?

tashasdaddy

don't get discouraged yet. here are Pam's Pics. it is definately salvageable. it's going to take some work, in the long run it will be worth it. there aren't many around.

Attachments

• boat 010_1.JPG
    boat 010_1.JPG
    68.5 KB · Views: 2
  • boat 011_1.JPG
    boat 011_1.JPG
    75.2 KB · Views: 2

tashasdaddy

ok this is what has to happen to restore it. you take the rub rail off and split the top and bottom. lift the top off, then you can get to the floor, and transom. a bunch of dust, dirt grime, cussing, many jack and cokes, and it's a new boat.

Attachments

• boat 011_1.JPG
    boat 011_1.JPG
    72.6 KB · Views: 0

Pam C

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the encouragement. I could hardly believe it when the guys at the marina and the fiberglass place said it was not worth fixing Even when I said I was willing as long as I did not have to sell a Grandchild for it. This boat is soooo cool. You would not figure it to be ruined. The cosmetics are great.

HERE IS WHAT THESE GUYS SAY....Of course the transom and partial strings and floor. The water sat in the back 3-4 feet of boat for 6 months. My neighbor left the plug in it. Also there are some cracks in the glass where the sides meet the bottom. They are not deep ones and just in the back 3 feet. He says the water probably did it and it would cost thousands to fix. He would not give a price. I think he was not interested.

There are no floats.

Would it help if I took pictures of the hull for you?

Thanks again.

tashasdaddy

send pictures of all the problem areas.

Pam C

Seaman Apprentice

ok, thanks! it has been down pouring for 2 days. First rain in 21 days of 102 temperatures, of course I took time off work. Am I supposed to send all pix through you?

EricR

Petty Officer 1st Class

That boat is beautiful and it would be a shame not to fix it!

Status
Not open for further replies.