1965 COBIA sSEA QUEEN

Status
Not open for further replies.

BillP

Captain
Re: 1965 COBIA sSEA QUEEN

Pam,

The exterior looks great...windshields are clear and the markings are factory original. Unfortunately, transom, floor and stringer rot is to be expected on a boat that old. That construction is among the easiest to rebuild and you won't have to take the deck off. I cut the splashwell out to do the transom. Floors and stringers can be done without cutting the splashwell. I did it all on mine. The job is dirty and a hassle but technically very easy.

Attachments

• splashwell 006.jpg
    splashwell 006.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 1
  • AftView.jpg
    AftView.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 1
  • glassing015.jpg
    glassing015.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 1

Pam C

Seaman Apprentice

Hey,
I have found a guy fairly close from here that is willing to take on the challenge of restoration this winter. I do not have the space to try it. I was trying to replace the internal wire harness yesterday and the part they sent me has an extra wire It looks orange but think it is called salmon. I have a thunderbolt 1000 100hp #2485717. I am going to try to call the place tomorrow and ask them to make sure it is the right harness and/or tell me where the wire goes. I may need to take a pic and show you guys.

I would love to share more pix but I can't seem to send them.

Thanks Bill, I will keep your info in mind when I take the ol' girl to discuss her repairs next month.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

sent you the wiring diagram for the 1350 but it's the same for the 1000. Glad you found someone to help you. it will be worth the trouble.

BillP

Captain

Pam,
Our boats were made the same yr so the construction is probably the same. They cored the bottom from transom to 8' forward with a sheet of 4' x 8'x 1/2" ply. It was glassed down to the hull and 3 stringers glassed on top. Few to any boats were done this way back then but it has proven to work fine and gives a bullet proof hull. I removed the core and it was the hardest part of the job...every bit of the core was in A1. If yours has the core just have it drilled with 1/4" dia holes to check for moisture and rot. If none, glass over the holes and mount new stringers...it will save a ton (days) of extra work.

Here's pics showing the core as it fit into the boat with stringers on top at the fwd end. The other pic is the ply sheet scored lengthwise so it would bend and conform to the hull shape. I set the core down in thickened epoxy and used car batteries to hold it down. Then glued the stringers down and glassed the entire deal with alternating mat and roven woven. You have to look hard to see the stringers. Center one is 2" x 12" x 20' dimensional lumber cut to shape and the side stringers are 3/4" ply (which replaced the original 2" thick dimensional lumber). Everything is cca pressure treated wood which was air dried for months and months before glassing.

Attachments

• Copy of gluingstringerrreduced001.jpg
    Copy of gluingstringerrreduced001.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 0
  • Copy of plycore002reduced.JPG
    Copy of plycore002reduced.JPG
    68.7 KB · Views: 0

alexisisa8

Recruit

with respect to your subject you getting some of article on
forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?p=1471127

csendker

Cadet

Wo-Hoo! Jackpot #2. I just picked up a '65 Cobia Sea Queen a couple of weeks ago. I've been digging for ANYTHING on this one and have come up empty but for here and one other time. My other jackpot; I e-mailed Cobia and got this reply:

I recently purchased a boat, a 1965 Cobia 16’ cuddy. The registration lists it as a Cobia, and there are several Cobia nameplates fastened to it. However, the capacity plate clearly indicates “Built by Southern Fiber Glass Products”. There is also a question as to whether it is a 1965 or a 1963. I have enclosed pictures of the tags. The boat will be requiring a total overhaul, likely down to the original hull. I am attempting to find anything I can about this boat before I begin the rehab. It has obviously undergone modifications over the years.

I did find a 2001 obituary for Harold Slama who was indicated to be the founder of three boat companies: Cobia Boats, Southern Fiberglass Products and Modern Fiberglass. I assume from this that while there may be a relationship, Cobia and Southern Fiberglass were either separate companies or one may be an offshoot of the other. Is there any archived information that may shed some light on this boat? Construction information that might assist in the reconstruction? Old sales brochures that may indicate the original layout or options? I am interested in anything to help with the restoration.

Thanks,

Chris Sendker

A great old model one that put Cobia on the map year's ago.
Southern Fiberglass was the original company then they changed the name to Cobia boat co.Modern Fiberglass was the co that made the shrimp boats, same owner.
The serial numbers were not coded in those years like they are to day, but that model G-17 Sea Queen cruiser does show up in 1965.We can send you a photo copy of the brochure if that would help.

Greg Weston
Cobia Boats
3207 Industrial 29th Street
Fort Pierce, FL 34946

Yours is showroom quality compared to mine. Look at some pics of mine:

My floor is totally shot. You can't make it out in the pic, but so are the stringers. I know this because I can see them through the big hole in the floor:

CopyofDSC07652.jpg

The transom is junk:

DSC07660.jpg

The cabin is a disaster:

DSC07657.jpg

The PO painted the OB black, yuck:

DSC07665.jpg

All electrical & controls are history:

DSC07655.jpg

Basically I bought a hull, crappy trailer & a possibly functioning OB.

Bill-
That's an inspiration you have there, a beautiful boat. I haven't recieved the brochure from Cobia yet, do you have any pics of the interior, cabin, etc? Any more on your floor replacement project? Mine is a mess and I have no idea what is was supposed to look like or how it was constructed. Your description sounds like is is a bit different than what I was imagining.

I'm currently in the middle of a full resto of a 1970 Luger 14' Runabout (floor, transom, stringers, etc; the usual...). I've always liked the older cuddy's and this one popped up close by. I wasn't ready for it, but I couldn't resist. It's winter here in Buffalo, so new glasswork is on hold until spring (I'm working on it outside). If I can wrap up the fabbing of the pieces-parts for my Luger, maybe I'll swap it out and start tearing apart my Cobia.

Anything that anyone has on these would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks!

BillP

Captain

Chris,
Sorry for the month long delay but I don't come down to the Cobia section often and didn't read this until now.

The info you got from Cobia was more than I could dredge out of them. They never responed to my emails when writing a few yrs back so I gave up. Did you get the brouchure from them? If so, can you scan and post the pic? I can snag it from there.

I stripped mine down and rebuilt everything but didn't take the deck off...I've done the deck off deal before and it wasn't as easy (not even close) as cutting the splashwell out. The only difficult task on the whole rebuild was removing the ply core out of the bottom. I didn't want to take a chance of it having any rot so removing was the only answer. I think it took 2 long days to get it out. Unfortunately, the entire 4 x 8 panel was in perfect condition and doing all that work was a waste of time. If doing it again I'd do some serious core drilling to check it instead of removing.

For glassing I used standard 1.5 oz mat (for epoxy) and 18oz woven roven and generic epoxy...no biaxials. The extra beef between thicker wood and more laminations calculated to 90ish lbs.

Are you working on your SeaQueen yet?

Regards,
Bill

Pam C

Seaman Apprentice

I have a 1965 Cobia Sea Queen and have not been able to get much info on its origin, what it looked like new, etc. I am debating about whether to put more money in it or not. There are some stress cracks on hull around where the motor clamps on. The clear coat is dull. The moter looks like it could use some wires. 4 years ago the motor checked out good, now the wiring is showing wear. It has a merc thunderbolt 1000. Any one ever seen one of these? It landed in Arkansas some how.
pc

It is now resored. WOW. I Need advice on the motor. it is a 1969 merc 1000 thunderbolt. it started 2 years ago. I want a power trim/tilt. They say it will be 1000.oo dollers. If I get the moter assessed and it proves up to par, shoud I invest in the power trim, or buy a used version? ie update. this motoer should be worth something. being a lady, i feel I might be taken for a ride.

TheWoodCrafter

Chief Petty Officer

Pictures, we need pictures.
$1000 seems a but much. When I was looking, never did buy, it seems like $700 was about the going price.

Coors

Captain

Why and how, do these old threads pop up?
No one has replied.

tashasdaddy

Coors, Pam C was the original poster, has a fantasic old boat. we worked really hard with her. she had the common courtesy to update us on the progress.

Pam C, glad to hear you got her in good shape. that 100 is very hard to tilt, especially from inside the boat. it think i would get it running, and use it, till you can find a replacement, and then sell the 100. or you can put an CMC unit on it, they have been build aftermarket tilts, for over 50 years. excellent alternative.

http://www.iboats.com/CMC_Power_Til...05067968--**********.356345303--view_id.13581

also lots of pictures please.

crazyeddies

Recruit

Bill.
I have the 1970 Model of this boat & called a Sanlando.
Recieved it worse shape than Pams.
The deck was replaced by PO. Floor & stringers are wrong. I see empty cavity where the original ply wood was. Your pictues above confirm.
Do you have more pictures of the back of the boat and if there was a water well?

Thanks in advance.

Ed

Pam C

Seaman Apprentice

Bill I have not been online here for ever. A guy had my boat 6 months and returned it only half painted and not the same colors. I then took it to a marina to have that wiring harness put on. They had it 1 month and could not figure it out. I think I have it on now, myself. Seems as though they have put the steering cables on wrong now. Where can I get new cables and instructions? Thanks PAM
Coors, Pam C was the original poster, has a fantasic old boat. we worked really hard with her. she had the common courtesy to update us on the progress.

Pam C, glad to hear you got her in good shape. that 100 is very hard to tilt, especially from inside the boat. it think i would get it running, and use it, till you can find a replacement, and then sell the 100. or you can put an CMC unit on it, they have been build aftermarket tilts, for over 50 years. excellent alternative.

http://www.iboats.com/CMC_Power_Til...05067968--**********.356345303--view_id.13581

also lots of pictures please.

tashasdaddy

bring it to Florida, i will straighten it out for you. labor free, that boat has to be saved.

Pam C

Seaman Apprentice

Bill,

I am trying to save her. I am taking her to a mechanic who works on old mercs. Now when I squeeze the gas bulb, gas comes out the carb. I have not gotten to start her yet. I appreciate the offer, very sweet of you. Can you tell me what cable to order for the steering? I fiqure it is 5' x 10 0r 12'. Some around here are afraid they will get in trouble putting it on.

If this all is a bust, I will consider driving down. Darn gas is a bummer, though.

Hope I can get her wet this summer.

Pam

Nandy

Commander

If you are having gas coming out of the carbs then you are due to install a carb kit. That is not too expensive or too labor intensive. Pretty much if you can take a screw out you can do it. I cant help you with the steering but I am sure TD will show up here eventually and he might be able to help.

tashasdaddy

sounds like the float needle in the carb is not closing. take it back to the guy who did the carb. i believe you motor has the tilt tube( a pipe that goes thru, where the motor tilts. if so i would recommend, this package, the reason is that the 1150 has a lot of torque steer, this will make controlling the boat easier.
http://www.iboats.com/Teleflex_NFB_...13443866--**********.952509601--view_id.40292

measure from center of helm to side of boat, from helm to back of boat, from side of boat to center of motor, add these up, and round up to next foot.

Nandy

Commander

sounds like the float needle in the carb is not closing. take it back to the guy who did the carb.

Sorry, I was not aware someone had already worked in the carbs. The float has to be balanced properly or you will have gas coming out before the needle shuts the gas passage. At any rate, whoever did the job might have missed that or something else. I would take it back just like TD says.
Good luck!

Pam C

Seaman Apprentice

Hey ya'll

Thanks for the input. I have not had the carb worked on. The guy who did the transom, had the motor on it's side on the floor for 6 months. It worked fine before that. I should have looked at the carb myself, but was afraid that it needed to be done by a "no how" person. I will definitely look into the steering. Pictures to follow. Thanks again.

Pam

Status
Not open for further replies.