Cold blooded Honda 25hp outboards

Captain Jerry

Recruit
Cold blooded Honda 25hp outboards

I'm a Towboat Captain that works on what many of you may call a barge. My crew and I work on the Upper Mississippi and Ohio Rivers.<br /> Our company purchased for the whole fleet 25hp Honda outboard motors for our auxillary boat. This outboard does perform well in warm weather but as soon as it gets cold outside this motor becomes a headach. We have used the cold weather starting instructions given us by the Honda dealer that sold these motors to our Company. We still end up shooting the carbs with starting fluid in order to get it started. Than once started, it needs to warm up for quite a spell before letting it depart. Otherwise the motor just dies once put in gear. I'm very concerned about this because if we every have an emergency situation such as a man overboard in very cold water, I'm afraid it well be too late for that individual before we can get to him with the auxillary boat.<br /> I have heard that their are commercial fishermem that are using some sort of heater to help solve this problem. Is it a block heater, oil tank heater? Any help out there? Thanks: Captain Jerry Schilling

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Cold blooded Honda 25hp outboards

Re: Cold blooded Honda 25hp outboards

Hi, Jerry.<br /><br />Welcome to the board.<br /><br />I am moving your question to Outboard questions. I think you will get better response there.<br /><br />Good luck. :)