Can a bowrider be used on the ocean on calm days?

rndn

Commander
Re: Can a bowrider be used on the ocean on calm days?

As long as you pay attention to the marine forecast and practice good boating skills. If the waves are so bad that you need a bow cover then you shouldn't be out there.

tommays

Admiral

If the waves are so bad that you need a bow cover then you shouldn't be out there.

That is really not true :D just from the BIG boat wakes down here EVEN in those NO WAKE zones it is hard to not dip the bow

Last time i was out a 55' gave me a balance test when i was pulling my anchor in a marked [SIZE=-1]boat anchorage area :([/SIZE]

Tommays

WaterWitch2

Chief Petty Officer

I've had my 17 ft Larson bowrider in the ocean many times. I pretty much do all my boating in the ocean (only been in a lake twice). I've been in mildly rough conditions (maybe 1-2 ft seas) a few times and never took too much water over the bow. When it gets rough you need to slow down of course. The worse part is the spray on the windshield for me. I even took it to Catalina Island along with my dad in his 13 ft Boston Whaler dinghy once. We left early morning before it got too rough and had no problems. This picture was taken 10-15 miles from shore coming back from that trip. Even in a big boat you have to be carefull. My dad has a 48 ft Uniflite and had it in 17 ft seas once and was worried about going down. He was getting water over his flybridge.

Attachments

• avalon comp 7.JPG
    avalon comp 7.JPG
    25 KB · Views: 0

AZSenza

Chief Petty Officer

I'm planning a trip to Catalina in a 97 Larson 226 Open Bow. Have a portable VHF Radio, PLENTY of life Jackets but not the off shore variety, anchors, even bringing along an inflateable life raft. Its even equipped with a Windshield Wiper! Engines in grate shape, with a Bravo III pushing it. I'll be running Dual GPS', a magnetic compass, plenty of cell phones and flares etc. I'm a good boater, I dont take chances and have read everything I can about deep water. I'll watch weather forecasts and choose as calm a day as possible. Anyone else make this trip? Any Suggestions?

INJUN

Petty Officer 1st Class

Everyone here states the truth. Just use common sense.

amynbill

Petty Officer 1st Class

In the LI sound yes. I would say safer with something in the 21' and up range than smaller. People go from CT to Port Jeff all of the time. Watch the weather closely, the wave heights, bring pdf's, have a cell phone (excellent coverage in LI sound) fully charged, etc...

There are 4 or 5 of us planning a trip in July or August from Fairfield to Port Jeff overnight staying at Danfords. Size of boats are 21 to 32 making the trip across. If you can have a boat or two come along like we are even better.

If you are speaking of just tooling around in the sound, you'll be fine.

Dakota47

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Tailgunner has a great idea for us Bowriders..

wildspeed

Petty Officer 2nd Class

There is different kind of bowriders....

Take a mastercraft open bow and the first wave will fill up the boat, now take an Hydra Sport 202 DC and you are good to go for a dryer ride

Like mentionned before look at the shape of the hull.

If you are planning to go a lot to the ocean and your freshwater use is not to much in shallow waters, look for Dual Console boat, there are CC hull with more family orientated features.

73149_102_pic.jpg

186dc_1.jpg

Hitech

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you are taking water over the bow in any boat style, you are in deep dung.

Many sailboats handle this situation with no problem what so ever. ;)

Bamboo

Seaman

If you like the Sea Pro's you may be able to get a little better deal as they are closing their doors as that "badge" is being discontinued by Bombadier (sp?), the parent company.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

You can do what you want. But why take the risk? All that needs to happen is the wind to pick up. Can stay nice and sunny, and the waves will coming in over the bow and transom. Even the Long Island sound is pushing it in a low freeboard boat. I take the MFG out in nice weather only on the Peconic bay. The 16' Bayliner Cuddy Cabin has a really high freeboard and waves that might break over the bow, can't get in the boat. If I was going on the ocean, I'd take the 16' Bayliner Cuddy over any bow rider (except for the ones designed for it shown above).

There are miles and miles of protected water on New Yorks Long Island. Stay on the protected waters.

marine4003

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hey guys/girls looking at getting my first boat. I have had a jet-ski for two seasons now and it was a great starter for learning the ways of boating but I think its time to upgrade.
There is a HUGE difference between using a jetski for 2 seasons and open water boating...yea your boat may be able to handle it..but can you? do you know anything about navigation?what happens when your enveloped in a fog bank? or VHF protocol ,GPS positioning, you can get yourself in alot of trouble fast if you don't know what your doing,take courses,buy CHAPMANS read it cover to cover..or you may just become a statistic.

fishmen111

Chief Petty Officer

Too relative a question...just like "can my truck pull this boat?" Can you...sure. Should you...only you can answer that. I would not. There is no difference in flat water in the open ocean and in my pond. The difference is in the ability to reach shore safely if needed. About a decade ago, I went with a friend in his '66 16' Blufin to striper fish at the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel. We had to cover about 15 miles with water temps in the 50s. Beautiful day. Fish had lockjaw but it was a rare 70 degree day in December. We started to come back in and the wind just came from nowhere. Still not a cloud in the sky. We were in 4' seas in no time in a boat that would have been less than desirable in a small river. VHF mast broke off as did the side console with the steering wheel! I have never been in a boat and looked up to see swells. How we made it I am not sure, but I am pretty sure I left a butt nugget somewhere in his boat:eek:. I have seen 14' jonboats out there but, I guess it just boils down to how much you want to risk.

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander

Spent many summers on a friends 18' Sea Ray B/R on the sound. Put the bow under a few times when we got caught out, but never had any issues.