Taylor Made Trailerite "Hot Shot" boat covers?

am_dew

Chief Petty Officer
I am looking to buy a new cover for my circa 1972 16.5 foot V-Hull I/O runabout and am considering a Taylor Made Trailerite cover made with "Hot Shot" fabric (http://tinyurl.com/3x8gb4). My boat is trailered and covered all the time, except when I take it out a couple times a month on weekends. Does anyone have any comments or experience with this cover?

Also, I have noticed that this cover does not come with tie down straps, and you can buy tie down kits. My current cover has straps that go all the way around the boat instead of the ones like in the kits which seemingly are meant to be attached to the trailer frame. Using the tie downs in these kits would make removing and installing the cover more work it seems since the strap would need to be removed from, or attached to, the trailer frame each time the cover was removed or installed, instead of just unbuckling the strap from one side of the cover and leaving it attached to the other side of the cover when the cover is removed. This is somewhat of an issue for me as my boat is trailered and I keep my boat covered all the time when it is not in use. I suppose I could jerry-rig some straps to go all the way around the boat that would be similar to the straps I have on my current cover.

Thanks for any ideas or comments!

Last edited:

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Taylor Made Trailerite "Hot Shot" boat covers?

clik marine store at the top of this page, then search boat covers. remember none of them are custom fit.

am_dew

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks...yes, I had done that previously (and lots of other places on the web as well) and I was hoping someone may have some comments about this particular brand/model and/or comments on the tie-down method.

Boatist

Rear Admiral

My opinion no cover is trailerable unless it is custom made. I guess if it is right out of the factory with nothing added then one could be made for the boat. Problem is everyone add different equipment. Going down the freeway great wind loads are added to the cover and every cleat, downrigger mount, trolling motor, antenna, pole holder needs to be padded to protect the cover.

Streach strapes on the freeway are worthless since wind loads will far exceed the strength of the streach roap.

Custom made cover if going to trailer with the cover on.

hibbert6

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've had a Taylor-Made cover for my boat for the last 5 years. It has faded, but not torn. I do not tow with it on. I use a dozen Bungee cords to hold it on. Leaves, bird poop, etc. have not hurt it. Cost about $115.

Dave