• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

best aluminum boat?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• best aluminum boat?

I know I will get alot of opinions but who makes the best deep v alumin7um fishing boats?

Re: best aluminum boat?

What size?

Kelly

Comment

Are you trying to start a fight??? Lund, Crestliner, Alumacraft, and about a dozen other manufacturers. Depends on what you want, how you fish, where you fish, what you fish for, how many people you fish with, how fast you want to get to the places you normally fish at, and how much money you have to spend.

Comment

Not trying to start a fight,just a simple question for those who want to give their own opinion.I'm looking for a 19-21 deep v boat for fishing lake trout and walleye that can handle big water.Also want a boat that gets on plane and gets a good speed for the recommended hp.

Comment

I take it you're somewhere in the upper Midwest, then. I think that, if you stick to the major brands, Lund, Crestliner, etc., it'll be hard to go wrong. They each have their followers and perform well.

I think what I'd do is start visiting dealers (assuming you're buying new). Somewhere, a dealer has a leftover model from last year, an order that the buyer backed out of, or something else that will make a boat a great deal for you.

Don't be afraid to range out from your home town...I'd drive several hundred miles to save $1000. Somewhere, there's a boat with your name on it. And, as the season goes on, the prices go down, too.

Sure...go ahead and laugh at my old aluminum boat. It's paid for!

Comment

"handle big water. Also want a boat that gets on plane and gets a good speed for the recommended hp"

Unfortunately these are conflicting requirements. As for boat brands, I'd include Alumacraft, Crestliner, G3, Lowe, Lund, Polar Kraft, Princecraft, and Smoker Craft. Which is a bunch, I know. Motor brand choices with your local dealers may well narrow this down though. May as well stick with the motor(s) you like.

Kelly

Comment

Originally posted by KCook View Post
              "handle big water. Also want a boat that gets on plane and gets a good speed for the recommended hp"

Unfortunately these are conflicting requirements. As for boat brands, I'd include Alumacraft, Crestliner, G3, Lowe, Lund, Polar Kraft, Princecraft, and Smoker Craft. Which is a bunch, I know. Motor brand choices with your local dealers may well narrow this down though. May as well stick with the motor(s) you like.

Kelly
              Thanks for the reply.I was looking at those boats and I want a 175 e-tec or 175 optimax for an engine.I sorta thought that all of those boats you mentioned are all very good quality.

Comment

Add Sylvan and MirroCraft to the list. The majors (Lund, Crestliner, Alumacraft) will have the best resale down the road.

Comment

If your asking for the "best" those other brands are in a different class altogether.
                  Mine has 10 inch aluminum box beams under the decking that run both sides longitudally and tied together with 3in. square aluminum tubing transversally.
                  All seams and joints are continuous welds on both sides. This constitutes a "rockhopper" hull. This is done even in places that aren't seen with the prettyest welds you can imagine.
                  The aluminum hull and decking material is a bit thicker also.

http://www.northriverboats.com/

Comment

Are the targa's built by Tracker a good boat?I looked at their website and they look like a nice boat.

Comment

Optimax should be very easy to find, since so many aluminum builders are now under the Brunswick tent. E-TEC may be more of a challenge, depends on your dealers.

I wish my Tracker had been a Targa model. The Targa models really do look nice. May be as well built as some of the others. But the Tracker name just won't get many shoppers excited, come resell time.

If this is to be a new purchase, not used, then picking out the dealers you like will certainly shorten this list.

Kelly

Comment

i would go to heavy gauge take a look at the north river, resale is good and you get a chance to customize to your taste

Comment

Saw a Bayhawk very similar to this one with a 115 Yami on it at the local boat show this spring for 23K. Since it had canvas on it, it wasn't a total strip model.
                          Well worth the price when you consider these aren't mass produced boats.

http://www.northriverboats.com/bayhawk.html

Comment

Just catalog shopping and I was impressed with the features that Starcraft and Sylvan aluminums had,
                            1976 18' Starcraft SuperSport 90HP Evinrude
                            Restoration thread http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=357767
                            1966 16' Starcraft Jupiter 85HP Johnson
                            Restoration thread http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=338633 sold

Comment

Just remember that you get what you pay for. If it's substantially cheaper then there are reasons for it.
                              1996 Crestliner 2160 Phantom, 1996 Evinrude 130 HP
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X