WD-40 as a starting fluid?

f_inscreenname

Commander
WD-40 as a starting fluid?

I know I am not alone when after leaving my boat sit for four or more days it takes a lot of cranking to get to turn over for the first time. Being that I have new (tight) and high compression motor it didn't take long to burn up a starter. Not wanting to use a starting fluid (afraid I would burn up a valve or something) I started carrying a squirt bottle of gas. I don't like to have a bottle of gas floating around on board but starters cost to much. Then I remembered a post a started on the fishing board about using WD-40 as a fish attractor for your lures. Well thing got carried away and people listed everything that used the stuff for. One of the post said that they used it as a starting fluid. Is this right? If it is wouldn't it be the best starting fluid of all? Its all ready pre lubed.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: WD-40 as a starting fluid?

Hi, FSN.<br /><br />WD-40 USED to be a pefect starter fluid for 2 strokes, but not any more.<br /><br />When they replaced propane with CO-2 as the propellant all bets were off.

Seaboo2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have used it (a long time ago)and it worked well. If you are just looking for something contained in a can how about carb cleaner?? It is (alittle) less volitale than starting fluid.

crab bait

Captain

water displacement fourteth attempt is a wonderful thing,, try it,, you'll like it.. i used it to start up a flooded motor,once..

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Huh???

Trent

Captain

Where ya been JB?<br />WD40 stands for Water Displacment and it was their 40th try makeing it when they got it right.<br /><br />And JB's right they removed the propane propellant. Before that it was a great "starting fluid".

Bondo

Staff member

WD-40 Still Is a Great Starting Fluid...... For Diesels..!! Much Better Than Ether.....<br /><br />If your problem is a Dry carb.... Plumb in a primerbulb, or an eletric fuelpump....

SlowlySinking

Master Chief Petty Officer

Typically dry hard starts are caused by choke problems, weak fuel pumps and/or leaking carb fuel bowls. You apparently proved this by squirting some gas in the carb. All 3 cause an overly lean fuel situation.