How to install swivel seat on aluminum boat

jimpittman

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I searched the forum and didn't see my question.<br />I want to install a swivel seat on my 16 foot 80 gauge welded aluminum boat.<br />Does anyone know how to install those devices that screw down and have a hole in the middle for the seat shaft to fit in. I have seen these things welded onto aluminum decks, and I have also seen them screwed down. I want to install the device on the back seat of my boat. There is no access to get under the seat to attach nuts. How do you secure the screws? I know the 80 gauge will not hold the screws for very long.<br />If anyone have any suggestions. I sure would appreciate it.<br />jimpittman

Bigfun

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: How to install swivel seat on aluminum boat

jimpittman, i did the exact thing 15yrs ago. I cut a 1/8th" thick alum. an inch or two larger than the seat base and riveted it in place then skrewed the base down. My boat has plywood under the platforms [seats], yours might also. very solid. I then glued carpet down over all floor surfaces. Hope this helps, good luck.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

I think someone described the whole process here a while back. They were installing bases into the floor and had no access to the bottom side. I believe they used a device similar in design to those used to mount hanging lights in your ceiling(swag hooks?).<br /><br />If nothing else, you could cut an access hole into the seat, then use large fender washers or a backing plate inside. Then seal it up and screw a coverplate over the access hole. I guess it all depends on how nice you want it to look.

crab bait

Captain

i did it once..but it's very hard to explain buy typin'.. but i'll try..<br /><br />i'm gonna be talkin' about the right angle portion that makes up the verticale/side wall of bench seat & the top/flat of the bench seat..<br /><br />the very top of the side wall mark a 1 1/2'' wide x 3/4 deep pencil mark .. bore a startin' hole an jig saw ( metal blade) out the 1 1/2 x 3/4'' hole..right up to the top/flat of bench seat.. <br /><br />do this again to the exact opposite side..<br /><br />take a piece of 1 1/2 x 3/4 teak ( can buy at a good boat supply ) a little longer than the bench seat.. slide it thru from hole to hole.. <br /><br />floation foam is rarely that close to the top .. if'n it is,, deal with it..<br /><br />epoxy the wood in.. don't worry about the lenght overhang.. let it cure.. then saw off flush...<br /><br />now do the same procedure again so as to have wood/mountin' at 4 points...

Jamar

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Cut you a big ole access hole in the side of the alum bench directly under the seat. Now you can get at it good and install 1/4 inch angle stiffers over the bolts ( one piece of angle long enough to cover two bolts each, I run mine front to back) and put the nuts/washers on them. <br />Before cutting, make sure that great big access hole is sized up and located properly to stuff one of those trick, recessed tackle box holders like you see in the bass pro shops/cabelas catalogs (the kind that have slots and hold 3 or 4 of the plano type clear plastic boxes).<br />Not only will you have access now and in the future, you will have a neat storage solution for tackle at your fingertips while sitting there fishing!

jimpittman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Jamar,<br />Outside of having it professionally welded in your solution was great, best yet. I think that is what I will do. Let me tell you what I have done in the mean time and it works as a temporary seat. I installed one of those doughnut things that hold a seat on the top of an old Igloo ice chest. I backed it up with 1/8" aluminum plate. I sit the ice chest with the swivel seat on top of my bench seat. This will work until I get a permanent one set in. Yeah, you can't get carried away and swivel your ass off but you can fish. Tried it Wednesday and caught three Red fish. Two four and one 6.5 pounder. Good eating!! Thanks for the feed back.<br />jimpittman

Jamar

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the compliments Jim, glad you liked it.....i was always partial to my own opinion myself. Hows the redfish biting down there by breton sound marina? plan on being down there soon (within the next month). Was there in late oct and loaded up on trout but front hit before we went out looking and so no redfish

Jamar

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hey Jim, email me direct at Jamar001@aol.com.....would like to chat more with you about Redfishing around Hopedale/Breton Sound. Also got my eye on a type of boat i saw around there but nowhere else......maybe you could help me id it so i can hunt one down and mount it. .......Damn they fish with rifles down there in the bayou...........