Who makes a Mercedes?

Flyin1500

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I'm looking at a 1984 Mercedes boat to buy, it has a 120 Mercruiser i/o. I can't find any info in the NADA guide and think maybe Mercedes is the model and not the make. Any idea who manufactured it? Thanks!

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Who makes a Mercedes?

who ever made it didn't stay in business long, cause i sure Benz protected their trademark.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Are you sure the actual brand name is Mercedes? Wouldn't be the first time some husband tried to convice the wife that he had purchased something that wasn't quite what it was supposed to be. A couple of $5.00 stickers may have sealed that deal for someone. Or maybe someone was trying to "keep up with the Joneses". But I agee with TD - Mercedes Benz would have been after the manufacturer in a hurry if they had tried to sell them under that moniker...
- Scott

Flyin1500

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Good point. I'm gonna take it for a spin today, and I'll take a much closer look at it. I'm reasonably sure that it was manufactured in the states,or at least North America. Thanks for the replies!

Are you sure the actual brand name is Mercedes? Wouldn't be the first time some husband tried to convice the wife that he had purchased something that wasn't quite what it was supposed to be. A couple of $5.00 stickers may have sealed that deal for someone. Or maybe someone was trying to "keep up with the Joneses". But I agee with TD - Mercedes Benz would have been after the manufacturer in a hurry if they had tried to sell them under that moniker...
- Scott

Bondo

Staff member

There Should be a HIN # cast into the Transom on the Top Starboard side,......

It might give you a Hint as to Who built it.......

bjcsc

Lieutenant Commander

They are very rare indeed! :D

2164068car2.jpg

Flyin1500

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well I found out that Mercedes Boats of Spokane, WA did indeed make boats. They eventually changed their name to Freedom Marine (maybe some arm wrestling with the Benz folks!) Anyhow, I bought the boat. It doesnt look nearly as good as the floating red one though!

Attachments

• mercedes1.JPG
    mercedes1.JPG
    52.8 KB · Views: 3
  • mercedes2.JPG
    mercedes2.JPG
    32.3 KB · Views: 3
Still have your Freedom Marine Mercedes? Freedom Marine was sold and reorganized as Apollo American Eagle. I have a 1982 Freedom Marine Mercedes 18' with mercruiser 454 MAG and Bravo 1 sterndrive. Same hull as the Apollo American Eagle 18' Would like to communicate with others with these boats. They are rare here in LA.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Still have your Freedom Marine Mercedes? Freedom Marine was sold and reorganized as Apollo American Eagle. I have a 1982 Freedom Marine Mercedes 18' with mercruiser 454 MAG and Bravo 1 sterndrive. Same hull as the Apollo American Eagle 18' Would like to communicate with others with these boats. They are rare here in LA.

Probably best to start your own thread, this one is 8 years old, might post a new one and ask if anyone has what you have.